Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I Procrastinate Because...

Procrastination is one of my worst habits. (Fantasizing about getting back at rude and inconsiderate people by doing things like throwing water balloons at them or making them rename themselves after the cast of the Jersey Shore is another habit of mine. But I'm not giving THAT one up anytime soon.)

I know that I shouldn't put off responsibilities or work that needs to get done. I am able to get my work done, but it's often hard just to get started because I keep procrastinating. Then I'm left with less time to complete my work.

When I have a lot of work to do, I know that I shouldn't watch TV, read chick lit novels, or write down the laws that I would pass if I were President (Law #1: It is now illegal to talk on your cell phones in the movie theater. The other moviegoers are thus justified in eating all your popcorn if you do.). And yet sometimes I can't help myself, and then not only am I left with less time to complete my work, I'm also left with less time to do fun things.

I started thinking about the reasons why I've been procrastinating, especially lately. I read somewhere that if you can understand the reasons behind bad habits, it makes it easier to break them. So here are a few of my reasons:

I'm overwhelmed. I work two jobs and I have a dissertation to write. There are some days when I feel completely overwhelmed by the stack of papers that are waiting to be graded, the lesson plans that still need to be made, the projects that need to be completed for my website job, the students' e-mails that need to be answered, and the research that needs to be done.

When I feel overwhelmed, I don't automatically think, This will be a snap! I'll get this done, and then I'll clean my apartment! Instead I think, I can't do this right now. I'm going back to bed. And then I'm going to figure out a way to clone myself, as long as it's not an evil clone who will turn against me and take over my entire life. 

I'm frustrated. I recently turned in a draft to my dissertation director, and he says it still needs more work before I can show it to the rest of my committee. It frustrates me that my work never seems to be good enough no matter how hard I try, and it makes me question whether I belong in graduate school in the first place. 

When I feel frustrated, my first impulse is not to sit down at my desk and start a new outline for my dissertation. Instead, I'd rather go to the gym and work off my aggression, eat something chocolate-covered, or give up altogether and consider an alternative line of work, like professional break dancer.

I'm burned out. Even though I am a workaholic, even I occasionally get bored and worn out from working so much. Sometimes I just want to do something fun and take a day for myself. I want to stay in bed all day and watch movies, or go shopping and spend money that I usually reserve for books I need for my graduate research (that aren't available in the library) on something I don't really need, like a cute dress or a nice pair of shoes (instead of the loafers I usually wear, which are sensible but also call attention to the fact that I have ginormous feet). Sometimes I don't want to have to respond to yet another e-mail that reads something like this: "I know that I got a C on this paper, but I still feel that I did everything correctly."

I'm afraid.  When I sit down in front of my computer, sometimes I feel so afraid that I'm going to write something that disappoints my professors AGAIN. In the movies people can rely on magic powers or good-looking heroes, which makes it easier for them to confront their fears. But in real life I have only myself and my fear that everything I want will always be out of my reach. 

But in spite of all these things, I know that procrastination is one habit that I definitely need to break. It would be unrealistic to say that I'll never procrastinate again, but I do need to make sure that I procrastinate less frequently. I can't afford to keep wasting time.

What about you? Do you have a problem with procrastination? If you do, why do you do it?

16 comments:

  1. I wish I had a magic answer for you. You're in a tough situation and the only way out is to write yourself out of it. Easier said than done. It gets paralyzing. It happened to a PhD candidate friend of mine. Keep at it, and know we're rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Sorry about my late response; I didn't have access to my computer yesterday because I exchanged it for a different one at Best Buy. They had to keep it at the store yesterday to transfer my files.
      Anyway, yes, the dissertation can be paralyzing. Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in mud or something, because it doesn't always feel like I'm getting anywhere.

      Delete
  2. I feel like those are all the same reasons I procrastinate. Sometimes, your brain needs a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,
      My brain does need a break. That's why I watch Jersey Shore sometimes. I don't need my brain for that. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm with you! Feeling overwhelmed is my main motivation for doing nothing. That's when I make a list and start crossing things off. It helps. But sometimes I'm too overwhelmed to even do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I wish I had a personal assistant or something. Then it'd be easier to get all my work done and I'd feel less overwhelmed. I envy the tenured professors who get to rely on T.A.s to grade papers and hold office hours for them, because that saves the professors a lot of time.

      Delete
  4. Well, you shouldn't feel bad about taking a little bit of time away from all your responsibilities - even if it means more piles up while you're playing. I like Karen's idea of lists. That's something I do when I'm feeling buried. Somehow writing it down helps it seem not quite so big and then you can promise yourself breaks after you check off a certain number of items.

    But I've never done anything as big as a dissertation - maybe break it into a few different pieces for that list so that individually they're more manageable?? All I know about it is that I've never, ever heard anyone who's completed a disertaion say, "Well, that wasn't so bad."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      I've never liked working on my dissertation, partly because I know that most people will never read it. It may get published (a BIG maybe), but even published dissertations don't usually get a lot of readers. Of course, scholars are supposed to write more for the sake of making a contribution to the field. But I've always enjoyed being a teacher more than being a scholar.
      But thanks for the advice. It helps!

      Delete
  5. I'm the Queen of Procrastination - I'm perfectly able to sit down at my computer but instead of opening Word, I suddenly realise I'm checking email, then Facebook, then Twitter, then back to email, then a couple of newspapers, then sharing articles on my Facebook page (which is writing related, so therefore it's good networking - honest!)... eventually I'll get to my WIP only to realise I've only got 20 minutes before my kids get home from school. I'm not sure I'll ever learn!
    Thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      Welcome to my blog! :) The Internet is very distracting. I've mentioned before that writers who used typewriters probably got a lot more done, because then they had no other option but to write. I'm tempted to join Twitter, but I spend so much time online as it is; I figure it would make me even more distracted.

      Delete
  6. I have a huge problem with procrastination. That's why I LOVE deadlines. They keep me in line. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      Deadlines keep me in line too, though I sometimes find myself scrambling to finish my work at the last minute. I know that I would be a lot less stressed out if I gave myself more time to work.

      Delete
  7. I used to have more of a problem than I do now. I think working to firm deadlines has definitely helped - that, and I find I'm motivated by fear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      I've been trying not to procrastinate as much as I did before, but it's still difficult sometimes. I guess it'd be easier if I actually enjoyed writing my dissertation, but I don't.

      Delete
  8. I do... I keep procrastinating on editing all the stories I've written in the past couple of years. I feel like an outside deadline - you know, like if an agent took me on and expected MSs in his or her inbox - I'd get more work done. For now, all I can do is set deadlines for myself and post on accountability sites like ROW80, to make sure I stay on track as much as possible...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      You're right about how outside deadlines make a difference. For a long time I didn't even set deadlines for myself when it came to fiction writing, which is why it took me a long time to finish writing the manuscript for my first novel. And to be honest, that manuscript I wrote still needs at least one more revision!

      Delete