Monday, April 2, 2012

What a Difference a Decade Makes

This past Sunday, April Fool's Day, was my birthday. I am now thirty-one years old.

Excuse me while I go check my reflection in the mirror to see if I look any older.

Damn. Now excuse me again so that I can do a Google search for "anti-aging cream".

Just kidding. Sort of.

Anyway, I was cleaning out my closet recently when I came across a stack of old journals; I've been writing in journals since the fourth grade, and I've kept every one. I can't bring myself to throw them away, because reading them reminds me of what it was like to be ten, sixteen, twenty-two, etc.. (One thing I learned from reading my youthful, obsessive rants that were scrawled in Magic Marker is that I had a Type A personality even when I was in grade school, so I guess some things never change.)

One journal in particular held my interest. It was the one that I kept when I was a twenty-one-year-old college student. Here are a couple lines that stood out to me:

I'm not sure that I ever want to have children. I can't see myself as a mother. 

Granted, I was only twenty-one at the time, and I wasn't even done with college yet. I wasn't ready to put someone else's needs before my own. I viewed motherhood as a burden, such as the time that I was on a flight and a baby screamed (not cried, but SCREAMED) the entire time. It was worse than the times I used to ride home from ball games with my classmates back when I was in high school. Many of them liked country music and played it nonstop in their cars or trucks. At first I couldn't stand the twang of country music, until I finally succumbed to it and thought, Hmm. Banjos and fiddles actually ARE cool. Bring on the bluegrass! (On the other hand, maybe that's how it feels when people get brainwashed. Maybe I should do a Google search on that too.)

But I couldn't picture ever getting used to the constant sound of a baby crying, especially when I watched the flustered parents try in vain to quiet down their child. All I could think was (and I admit that I was kind of selfish to think this), Wow. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes.

But ever since I turned thirty last year, I can almost hear my biological clock ticking louder and louder. I know that there are many women who have children in their late thirties or even forties. I also know that it becomes more and more difficult to get pregnant as you get older, and deep down I don't want to wake up one day and realize that it's too late for me to have a child. I'd also like to live long enough to see my own child or children raise their own kids, because I'd like to hold my first grandchild in my arms before I die.

Now when I see women my age or younger pushing strollers or leading small children by the hand, I don't feel glad that I'm not them. I just feel...wistful. Now I know that I want to have a family of my own. It's not just because my biological clock is ticking. It's because I know that mothers do have a lot of burdens to carry, but having a child is a blessing, too. (I know that I sound like I just threw up a bunch of Hallmark cards, but I really am being sincere.)

I've been thinking about this more and more over the past year, and I've finally decided that if I'm not married by the time I turn forty, I'm going to try adoption or in vitro (I may even try earlier than that, once I finally finish grad school and find a good job.). I know that neither will guarantee that I will end up as a mother, and I know that being a single mother would be difficult. But that wistfulness I've been feeling just won't go away, and I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. I think that I was afraid that being a mom would make it more difficult for me to do the things I wanted to do, like travel, write, and teach.

I was also afraid that I wouldn't even be any good at parenting, and I'm still afraid. I'm afraid I might end up with a kid who grows up to be a cast member on one of those reality dating shows, and then she might end up being the shrew who all the other cast members just HATE and cry fake tears over, or I might end up with a kid who grows up to have such a huge ego that he embarrasses Taylor Swift at an awards show.

But from what I've observed about parenting, it's an ongoing process; it seems like people learn how to raise kids as the kids grow up, because I don't think that anyone starts out automatically knowing what to do or how to be a parent.

Ideally, of course, I'd like to be married before I start having children, because I know that it is good for children to grow up with two parents. Single parents have their own struggles, because it's tough to raise a child alone. But being a single parent wouldn't necessarily mean that I would be a bad parent, because there are many excellent single parents out there as well as other "nontraditional" families that make it work. I know that I still have time before I have to make that final decision, and who knows, maybe I will find the right guy and get married. In the meantime, I need to focus on finishing graduate school and establishing myself in my career so that I will be able to support my family.

Either way, I feel like I've grown up a lot in the past ten years, and my attitude towards what I thought I wanted (and didn't want) has changed.

What about you? What are things that you thought you wanted/didn't want when you were younger, and how did your feelings change as you grew older? For those of you who have kids, how did you feel about becoming a parent before your kids were born?

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! I think you have a good child-plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      Thanks! I'm still not ready to have a kid right now, but I'd like to have one once I finally finish grad school.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! I think we all change as we get older. Maybe not our personality, but our goals in life shift as our experiences change us. Now I sound like a Hallmark card!

    I always knew I wanted kids because my mom and I are very close. I wanted little mini-me's running around creating chaos—it just sounded fun and exciting. I was fortunate to marry someone with a big family who wants kids as much as I do—but we're struggling with the idea of having them while I'm still in grad school. Funding options for 6th years and above are dicey, and we can't live on just his salary alone (or afford daycare for me to get a part time job). There are two women in our department with kids and honestly I don't know how they do it. So, yeah. Even with married couples, it's not easy to make these decisions. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      There are a few women in my department who got pregnant while still enrolled in the Ph.D. program; I don't know how they handle it either, because I think that juggling grad school and motherhood would definitely be tough. Funding for grad students is a concern for me too, especially because my funding will end after next year; the problem is that I won't be done with my dissertation by then. So it's hard because even though I wish I was able to have a kid sooner rather than later, at the same time it's hard enough for me to support myself right now.

      Delete
  3. I've heard that happens a lot when women turn 30. I'm 34 and I'm still not into kids but I know that's rare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,
      I know, especially because when I was still in my 20s I wasn't sure if I wanted to have kids. But ever since I turned 30 last year I keep coming across articles about pregnancy and women in their 30s and 40s who decide to adopt, etc. I also think it's perfectly fine to not be into kids, because a lot of people are happy without them. But I think I would like to have at least one child someday.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! I have crazy kids :) But I adore them. I won't say it isn't hard EVERYDAY, but the very best things in life are the hardest. Just be glad you know what you want while you are still young enough to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      Thanks! Like you said, I figure it's good to start thinking about these things sooner rather than later. I saw a mother and her teenaged daughter walking arm in arm today, and they looked really happy. It made me think that maybe I could have something like that someday too.

      Delete
  5. Nobody thinks they'll be a good parent. And when we become parents, we screw up. That just comes with it.

    I thought I was going to have a better career, but I put kids first. I've done the opposite of you. You pine for what I have and although I can't really regret the choices I've made, wish I'd started and stuck with my career sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      It's a tough choice, isn't it? It's hard because we want to have both the career and the family. But because both come with their own demands and expectations, sometimes we have to choose one first and put the other one off. It is easier now than before women to have both careers and families, but it's still difficult in many ways. For example, I mentioned to one of the other bloggers that a few women in the department got pregnant while still enrolled in the Ph.D. program; they'll still be able to get their degrees, but it will take longer for them. I hope that you get the career that you want, because you deserve it and you're a great teacher.

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a very happy birthday! I am definitely in the mid-20s "don't know if I want kids" phase (just wrote a post including that). Your post makes it really real just how that can change! I also keep all my old journals, it's so valuable to look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi New York Cliche,
      Thanks! It was a nice birthday. When I was in my 20s, I wasn't sure if I wanted kids either, because I was so focused on getting through graduate school. I didn't feel ready to have a child while I was still in graduate school, because I wanted to wait until I had a stable job. But now that the end of graduate school is just a couple of years away, I've thinking about motherhood more often.

      Delete
  7. The good thing is that there's no "right" or "wrong" way to have kids or have a family, etc. There are so many options these days. As long as you love and take care of your child, it's okay if you're adopting or if you choose to be a mother before finding a partner. At least that's my opinion.

    This past weekend, I went through boxes of my stuff from high school, so I can relate to what you're going through. I couldn't help but question if I'm the person that my 16-year-old self wanted me to become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley,
      I think it would be interesting to write a story in response to your question of whether we grow up to be the person that our teenage selves wanted us to be. I read a really good novel by Allison Winn Scotch titled The One That I Want, which is about a thirtysomething woman who is struggling to deal with the fact that her life isn't turning out to be the way she imagined it would be in high school. So I think it would be interesting if other authors wrote their own responses to that question, because I think we'd all have very different, interesting stories.
      And thank you for your encouragement about becoming a mother. You're right in that loving and taking care of your child is the most important thing. That's one thing I've always admired about parents: their unconditional love for their children.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday! Hey there's only a year difference in our ages... I certainly don't feel like an adult yet. Maybe if/when I have kids?

    ReplyDelete