Monday, April 23, 2012

Friends and Frenemies

In the story that I'm working on right now, two women who have been friends for many years start to realize that their differences, which they'd pretended to overlook all that time, are driving them apart. It's made me think about the differences between friends and frenemies. 

A few years ago, I started socializing with a group of people that I'd recently met. One night we went out to dinner, and most of the others said they weren't hungry and just ordered drinks for themselves. I, on the other hand, had thought that "going out to eat" meant that we actually would eat, so I ordered an appetizer for myself. Maybe I shouldn't have thought that eating food in front of other people who weren't eating was a good idea, but I don't think I deserved what happened next. When the food arrived, everyone helped themselves to my food without even asking me if they could have some.

It bothered me that they did that, especially since I was paying for that food, I had specifically stated that I was ordering it for myself, and I literally only got two bites of it. (They didn't offer to help pay for it either, and it wasn't cheap.) They were all "young professionals" and had salaries that dwarfed the paltry wages I earned from working as an adjunct and from my job at the Expensive Clothing Store, where I managed not to strangle my retail supervisors with scarves when they made me refold clothes until they were perfect. I hardly ever got to eat in restaurants, because I couldn't afford to go. I should have said something to them, but they immediately started eating my dinner before I could stop them.

I suddenly wanted to transform into Ms. Pac-Man, so that my mouth would suddenly become huge and I could eat all of my food really quickly before anyone else got to it, or perhaps those cheap moochers would become so frightened of my enormous mouth that they would run away from me and pay for their own food next time.

It also made me come to this conclusion: frenemies mooch off of you. Friends do not take advantage of each other. I continued to socialize with those people after that incident, but I didn't tell them that it bothered me.

In college, I was friends with two girls who told me about a homeless man they'd seen on the train; the man was begging for money. They suddenly started imitating the way he was begging, and they mocked his voice. They laughed about it, as if it was hilarious that a man would become so desperate that he would ask complete strangers for money. Their "joke" made me see them for what they really were, and I didn't want to be friends with them after that. I am ashamed to say that I didn't call them on their insensitive, disgusting behavior. I wish I had said something like, "You should pack some sunscreen with you, because you're going to need it in hell."

In college I was also friends with a girl who came with me to the oral surgeon when I was getting my wisdom teeth taken out. I was so scared that it was going to hurt, and she came with me so that I wouldn't have to be alone. It helped to have her there, even though the oral surgeon told me that I shouldn't flail my arms around so much because I might accidentally smack him in the face. (I tend to thrash around when I get emotional.)

I've also been thinking of other things that make some people your friends and other people your frenemies. Friends make an effort to stay in touch with each other. Frenemies only call you when their other friends aren't available. Friends are able to tell you the truth without hurting you. Frenemies will pretend they're not insulting you even though that is exactly what they are doing. Friends are people you can order dessert in front of without worrying that they're going to judge you because they claim that their salads made them too full to eat dessert. Frenemies pretend that they're not hungry but will eat all of your food and expect you to pay for it.

Here's another video by my favorite vlogger, Kevjumba, who has his own take on what it means to be a true friend.




What about you? What do you think makes someone a friend? What makes someone a frenemy?


23 comments:

  1. I think there's all sorts of levels of friendship. Some people can only give so much, and that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      I agree. I think that friendship is a two-way street, and true friends are the ones who can meet each other halfway.

      Delete
  2. Yep, when I first went to college I hung out with a group like that, who were jerks to some other people on our floor and kind of two faced in general. Dropped that friend group quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      Two-faced jerks are the worst. That's why other people can't understand why you don't like them, because they only see one side or "face".

      Delete
  3. I have had too many two-faced friends in my life, and I fear that I will fall victim again. I find that breaking up with frenemies sucks even more than having them as your friend in the first place because too often they have no idea how much pain and hurt they have caused. They move on, while you're stuck with the self-doubt and negativity they left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      Breaking up with frenemies is definitely hard. I have a frenemy that I wish I could break up with, but I'm afraid that I would hurt this person's feelings. But it doesn't make me feel any better to stay friends with this frenemy.

      Delete
  4. I'm still stunned those people ate your food! How rude!

    For me, a true friend is someone I just know will always be there for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      It was very rude of them to eat my food, especially because I couldn't afford to buy more food.
      I think it's almost as hard to find true friends as it is to find true love.

      Delete
  5. People are either clueless or pretend to be clueless about people who don't make much $. I've had several past instances that brought me to tears all those years we didn't have much $. I would say the difference is you can have frank conversations with a good friend. And your morals/philosophies are pretty in sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      It's difficult to deal with the money issue. More than once I've been in situations where friends wanted to go somewhere or do something that would have cost a lot of money that I didn't have. So I had the choice of being left out or spending money that I couldn't afford.

      Delete
  6. Yeah the last time I had a bad group of friends was back in first year university and high school. Both groups had serious ego and self-esteem issues and constantly looked for approval and validation--this triggered gossip, backstabbing, and drama. Quickly dropped the university group after 1st year and the high school people after I graduated high school. Funny thing is that I sometimes still run into these people around Toronto and they're still the same way they were 6 years ago. They haven't changed one bit. I kinda feel like I'm past the stage of having "bad friends". My relationships over the last 5 years have been very stable--and it seems like my judgment has improved when it comes to choosing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William,
      I think that bad friends show up at any stage of life, because like you said, some people don't change for the better.

      Delete
  7. My guess is they were totally oblivous. A culture clash, if you will- in their young professional world, if someone orders an appetizer, it's for sharing. I think that's how it is for people who actually have money- I'm not one of them, I only dream of a day where I can order a round of drinks.
    I very much enjoy the discussion about friendship you started. I've been thinking about that a lot- I'm in the middle of a really hard friendship breakup. No one ever talks about friendship breakups! And I totally agree, finding true friends is like finding true love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi New York Cliche,
      I dream of that kind of day for myself too, except instead of a round of drinks I want enough money to buy an appetizer, an entree, and dessert. :)
      I'm sorry you're going through a friendship breakup. That's definitely difficult to go through. I've been in that situation too, and it's tough because I don't want to hurt the other person's feelings. On the other hand, it doesn't do me or the other person any good to stay friends if my heart isn't in it.

      Delete
  8. Friends give and frenemies take. I don't think I would call anyone out in the moment, but I wouldn't do anything with them again. I love the sunscreen comment. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      That's a good way to describe friends and frenemies, and I totally agree with you. It's hard to be friends with people who don't understand that they can't keep taking everything without giving anything in return.

      Delete
  9. Well, this post really got me thinking, and I am thinking most of who I thought were friends were really frenemies. No wonder I wasn't crazy about them. My best friends are my family-- husband, kids, sisters, sister in law. I'm stretching my mind to think of someone else who applies...uh, no. The rest are the kind of people who pretend to be your friend and then talk about you behind your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I read somewhere that we should be wary of so-called friends who are constantly gossiping or bad-mouthing other people to us, because they could be spreading gossip about us too. Those kinds of people cannot be trusted. It's very difficult to stay friends with people who only pretend to be your friend, as you said.

      Delete
  10. With a friend, there's a natural give and take. A frenemy will leave you feeling used and resentful. Friends will take the risk to tell you how they really feel, but frenemies have trouble being honest even when it's in your best interest to hear the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and a friend will also tell me when I have food in my teeth. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      I have to admit that I can relate to that feeling of resentment when it comes to my frenemies. Sometimes it feels like they keep expecting me to do things for them that I don't want to do, and I end up feeling resentful if I do what they want, not what I want.
      I would discreetly pass my friend a mirror if he or she had food in her teeth. I usually carry a small mirror around with me. :)

      Delete
  12. Very good distinctions. Here's what I have to add to the list: friends don't make every conversation feel like a competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      I know what you mean. I've been around people who either spend a lot of time bragging or are simply waiting for me to finish talking so that they can talk about themselves; they don't even bother to respond to what I just said.

      Delete