Monday, April 9, 2012

How I'll Spend My Summer Vacation

Even though the school year is not over yet, I'm already thinking about what I'm going to do this summer. 

If I were to lay out in the sun and just relax, I'd a) start worrying that if I lay out for too long I'll end up looking like one of the Jersey Shore cast members (only not drunk); b) only be able to relax for a few minutes before I start thinking of all the things that I have to get done that day, like go grocery shopping, do laundry, and make extra large signs to hang in my windows that say, "Won't you be my ex-neighbor? Seriously, just MOVE OUT already!" for all my loud, annoying neighbors to see; c) feel self-conscious about being in a bathing suit and cover myself up with a beach towel (or three), because I do not have the body of a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model (but God, I wish I did).

I've spent almost every summer working since I was sixteen, when I got my first job as a checker at a supermarket. But the truth is, I would love to be able to take a vacation. I'd love to be able to spend the whole summer enjoying Chicago like a tourist would, by going to neighborhood festivals, museums, and outdoor concerts. Even being able to spend every day writing fiction for as long as I wanted without feeling guilty about all the other work that I have to do would be wonderful. And even though I usually work two or three jobs, what's key is that they are part-time jobs, which means I don't get a full-time salary or a paid vacation. But I still have to pay rent, buy groceries, and pay other bills during the summer, so I have to work.

I've been trying to think of places where I could work this summer, but there are a few jobs that I had to rule out.

I could never work in a bar, because a) I don't have any experience or training as a bartender, let alone a shot girl; b) at many of the bars in Chicago, you have to "audition" to work at a bar, meaning you have to go down there and let the employers determine if you look "hot" enough to sell drinks. Other places require applicants to send in photos along with their applications. And again, while I don't think that the sight of me would make any man scream or turn to stone (at least, it hasn't happened yet), I do not look like a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model; c) I don't like alcohol, and I don't like it when people get really drunk. So instead of trying to sell shots, I'd probably just be judgmental and disapproving every time someone took a drink, and then I just might not be able to stop myself from saying stuff like, "Do you really want to be hungover tomorrow? Because you will be if you drink another shot," or "That's such a nice shirt you're wearing! You don't want to ruin it by throwing up on it later, do you? Didn't think so."

I would like to work as a dogwalker, because I love dogs. I had my own dog when I was growing up (she died of old age), and I walk my parents' dogs, Jane Dog and Neurotic Jr., whenever I visit them. But most of the places that are hiring dogwalkers and pet-sitters require the applicants to have their own cars. I've relied on public transportation ever since I moved to the city, so I don't have my own car.

I did apply for summer jobs that are in my own field (education), of course. There was one summer program that was willing to hire me, but I didn't accept the job; let's just say that I didn't agree with their grading practices for the students. I found out that two of the educational jobs that I applied for were given to people who had way less experience and fewer qualifications than I do but also happened to be friends with the people who were doing the hiring, which made me really mad.

The one field outside of academia that I have the most experience in is retail, because I've worked in a bookstore, a clothing store, and a souvenir store. So I know that it would not be that hard to get a job at yet another store. But I don't want to work in retail, and that's another post in itself.

I actually already have one job for the summer, which is my website job that I also do during the school year. But it's only part-time, which is why I was thinking of getting another job. However, I've finally faced the fact that I can't keep working full-time if I ever want to finish my dissertation and just be DONE with graduate school already.

So I'm going to try just working part-time this summer. I've been saving money for months so that I won't have to rely on my credit cards too much. And maybe this summer, I'll actually have time to relax. (Except by "relax", I don't mean just lay out in the sun and do nothing. Because I really can't do that for too long without thinking about all the work that I could be doing instead. What? When I say that I'm a neurotic workaholic, I'm not exaggerating. It's not like my screenname is Easygoing Slacker.)

What about you? What kinds of summer jobs have you had? What was your first summer job like? Have you started making plans for this summer?

17 comments:

  1. Have you thought about waiting tables? The money can be really good You wont have to serve much alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it, because I've heard of servers at expensive restaurants who can earn a decent living in tips. Not to mention I'd probably get free food, which would be nice. But unfortunately, most of the restaurants and cafes are looking for people who already have experience. Not to mention several of them, especially the cafes, want people to commit to work for several months at least. But I can only commit for the summer, because I teach during the school year.

      Delete
  2. Ha! You're so funny. You've really thought this through!

    As an educator, my father always had the summers off. When he got up to the administrative level, he had fewer weeks off, but he still lives by the school schedule. There were only a few years that I haven't lived by it. Now that my oldest is in school, I'm back to the same old lifestyle. It's comforting in a way because it's what I know. As for summer jobs, I had a few, mostly working with children. Day camps were a ton of fun because I got to play all day. Sure, some of the kids could be obnoxious, but for the most part, it was a blast. Now I spend my summers playing with my own kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      I think that your summer vacations where you get to spend time with kids sounds wonderful; I hope that I get to spend vacations with my own family someday.
      Technically, as an educator, I should have time off too. But since I'm not a full-time lecturer or a tenured faculty member, I don't get paid as much, so unfortunately I don't really get a vacation. But hopefully someday...

      Delete
    2. Something to look forward to! :)

      Delete
  3. Relaxing for me would be lying about in the sun and reading. But just lying about? I'd leap up and find things to do! Bookstore wouldn't be too bad, if it's for a short period of time. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      I worked at the bookstore for a long time, including summer breaks. I didn't mind working at the bookstore so much during the winter, because it was too cold to go out anyway. But in the summer it was tougher to go to work; I'd look out the window as I rode the bus or the train and see all the people having fun outside, whereas I knew that I would be spending the day working. It's more fun to hang out at a bookstore when I don't have to work there.

      Delete
  4. I think working at a bar would be the WORST job EVER! How often do you think a bartender get thrown up on? I would guess a lot! But no one wants to talk about it.

    I spend most of my time thinking up jobs for my kids to do so they don't ask to play the wii. Yep. About as fun as working at a bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      Maybe the possibility that customers could throw up is why the bartender stays behind the bar, because he/she could use the bar as a buffer. :) But working at a bar would definitely be the worst job for me, because I think that bartenders and other waitstaff have to be social butterflies who are comfortable in that type of setting. And I feel awkward in bars even on the rare occasions I actually go there just to socialize. I've never been a party animal, so I would hate working in a party atmosphere every night.

      Delete
  5. So, you don't want to look like a Jersey Shore cast member? We got a situation over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,
      Hahahahaha!! I don't want to look like any of them, but I kind of wish I could "tawk" like them. I like their accents.

      Delete
  6. I never held a summer job...but if I had, I would've picked a chocolate shop ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      Working at a chocolate shop like Godiva would be nice because then I'd get free samples. Yum!

      Delete
  7. I can just picture you hanging a sign like that out for your neighbours! :)

    Hm, I've done quite a few summer jobs. The worst one was as a painter. Of houses. Up 30-foot ladders, scraping in the cold Nova Scotia rain. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      I've been tempted to hang a sign like that, seeing as how my apartment directly faces several other apartments; then maybe my neighbors would stop having loud parties that don't end until 2 A.M. every weekend, at the very least.
      Wow, the painting job sounds tough. I'd be afraid of falling off the ladder.

      Delete
  8. You don't have to worry about looking like a Jersey Shore character by sitting in the sun--you need to do some serious tanning bed time too.

    A couple of summers I worked at a carnival. The time I spent in the cotton candy booth wasn't fun.

    Good luck finding a good job this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      I've never used a tanning bed; I'm afraid that being in one would make me feel claustrophobic. I also can't lie still for that long unless I'm sleeping, and even when I'm sleeping I toss and turn a lot.
      I agree that it wouldn't be fun to work in a cotton candy booth, especially during the summer because it probably wouldn't be air-conditioned in there.

      Delete