Monday, March 12, 2012

Using Your Blog to Make Money

I think that a lot of bloggers dream of being able to make money through their blogs. Maybe they hope that a literary agent or editor will come across their blog and offer them a book deal. There's nothing wrong with that, and one can dream, right? After all, it happened to Jen Lancaster (who originally blogged about being unemployed), Julie Powell (who blogged about her attempt to cook her way through one of Julia Child's cookbooks), and Angela Nissel (who blogged about being a broke college student). But I think they got book deals not only because they are all great writers, but also because they started blogging before a lot of other people did, not to mention their writing focused on specific themes.

You may also dream that the book deal will lead to a movie deal, where A-list actors like Ryan Gosling and Elizabeth Banks will clamor to star as the fictional leads in the story that you wrote. Ryan Gosling will fall in love with you just because he's so amazed by your talent; he'll say, "Who needs an A-list actress who looks like a Victoria's Secret Model when I could have you?" And you'll say, "Sorry, Ryan, but writing will always be my first love."

And then you may dream about becoming so rich that you can buy a helicopter. That way, you can travel in the helicopter to your high school reunion, like that guy did in Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. After all, showing up rich and successful to your high school reunion (in a helicopter, no less) is every high school nerd's DREAM. When everyone comes out to see you arrive, the mean girls' dresses will fly up over their heads, just like in the movie, and the mean guys' toupees will fly off and they'll have to go running after them. Meanwhile, you will climb back into the helicopter and fly away, but not before yelling, "See you around, LOSERS! Eat my dust, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Wait. Am I the only one who has this dream?

When I first started blogging, I didn't really think that a literary agent would come across my blog and offer me a book deal, but I thought that it would be good writing practice. I also thought that maybe I could take some of my favorite posts and put them into a book, or I could use the posts to get ideas for stories. I  wanted to share my writing with other people, because up until then I'd kept my writing hidden away in my journals. But I do think that some people are hoping to get book deals through blogging, which may explain why several of the comments I read on agents' blogs say stuff like, "Oh, you are SO RIGHT about EVERYTHING! Why didn't I think of that? I bow down to your utter wisdom and glory."

Even though I'm not a member of 20sb anymore, I still check out their discussion forums every once in a while. I read one where a blogger wrote that he was asking for donations on his blog; he was going to use the donations to buy a car. However, most of the other bloggers reacted negatively, criticizing his actions. When I looked at one of his recent posts, he said that after a year of collecting donations and saving his own money, he had enough to buy a used car.

There have been  people who asked other people on the Internet to give them money, like Karyn Bosnak, who started a website asking people to give her money so that she could pay off her $20,000 credit card debt. It worked; thousands of people gave her money as well as gifts and care packages. AND she got a book deal and a movie deal out of it.

I think what Karyn Bosnak did is very different from the guy who wanted money to buy a car. She included a lot of fun stuff on her website, like  "The Daily Buck", where she wrote about the things that she did to save or earn money each day. That's why I think that she was kind of like those street performers that I often see dancing, singing, or playing instruments around Chicago. Recently I saw a girl perform with a hula hoop. Once I saw a guy who danced while doing tricks with yo-yos; he advertised himself as a college student trying to pay his tuition. He got several donations from people who stopped to watch.

Even though Karyn got a lot of hate mail and death threats from mean-spirited jerks, a lot more people were generous enough to help her. As she wrote in her book (which is one of my favorite reads, even though I cringed at some of her purchases, such as how she once spent more than seven hundred dollars on lingerie. For me, a "splurge" means buying brand name cereal.), many people can relate to what it's like to be in debt.

I think that Karyn came up with a pretty imaginative way to pay off her debt, but I don't agree with that other guy's actions. It's one thing to get a book deal because of your blog; it's another thing to ask people to give you money just so you can buy a car. I wouldn't mind having extra cash to buy a new car, or enough money to buy all the coffee and chocolate that I want (because then I can be wired ALL the time and work as much as I want, bwahahahaha!). But I'd rather earn my own money to pay for those things. The guy who was trying to get people to pay for his car claimed that he was a full-time college student with not enough time to work multiple jobs. But as someone who's worked multiple jobs while attending graduate school full-time for the past several years, I have no sympathy for him. I also think that what he did was wrong. Next thing you know, he'll start trying to get people to buy him a helicopter.

In my next post, I'll write about including ads on your blog to make money, but I'm curious to know what you think. What do you think of people who use their blogs to ask other people for money? (Side note: I'm not referring to bloggers who ask readers to donate to charity or some other noble cause, like a medical operation, because that's different.)


18 comments:

  1. On the one hand, I agree with you that his actions are tacking and crass to say the least (though I also kind of think Karyn's are equally so). On the other hand, what's so different about someone asking for donations on a blog to buy a car, and using the advance from a book deal to buy a car? If he's driving a Mercedes, it's a materialist and selfish move. If he's buying a Corolla because he drives a POS car that's sapping his resources and causing him to not be able to get to his day job, then he's another broke guy looking for some internet love.

    This isn't to say I will be adding a Paypal Donate button anytime soon on my blog. But I am still hoping the blog helps me out in the long run by pulling its weight in dollars and cents. And I have a bit of grudging respect (and jealous hate) for anyone tactless and brazen enough to beg for money publicly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      I think that the difference between someone asking for donations to buy a car and using the advance from a book deal to buy a car is that the book deal is the product of a person's hard work and effort. That is, the person that I mentioned set up the blog primarily so he could get money for a car. But as you know, writing a book is more about a person's imagination and ideas, as well as his or her hard work and effort. So what I'm saying is that it's okay to use the money from an advance because the person actually worked for it, whereas the person that I described was actually unwilling to work for all the money to buy a car; he just expected people he didn't even know to give him the money.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that the Google/Blogger ads people put on their blogs don't pay much. And personally, they're a turn off. I unfollow blogs that have those ads. I hate them, find them a distraction, and enjoy blogging in an ad-free environment. I unfollow blogs that ask for money, for any reason. I agree with you that those bloggers who got book deals probably did so because they were out there early on, with the right kind of platform and voice at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I don't like ads because I often accidentally click on them, and then it's difficult for me to get back to the post because the ads keep popping up. It would make me uncomfortable if bloggers I didn't know asked for money, especially if they wrote several posts about it. Then I'd feel pressured to donate, and I barely earn enough money to support myself.

      Delete
  3. Hmm...I don't know. I'm broke, and I'd LOVE a little extra $$. But I feel weird putting a donate button on my blog. Not sure why exactly. And I'm really not a fan of ads on my blog - I'm very particular about everything on it being MINE. It's tough out there for a broke-ass blogger :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      I totally agree with you. I've gotten e-mails from several websites and companies wanting me to promote their websites/products on my blog, but that's not what I started blogging in the first place. I've heard of bloggers who are paid to write not because they include ads on their blogs, but because they write posts that they get paid for. So I think that being able to earn money from blogging in that way would be cool, because I could even include the pieces that I'm paid for in my portfolio.

      Delete
  4. I don't expect to make money through my blog. It would be nice, but I don't think it's realistic--at least, not in the out-of-the-blue kind of way. Like you said, those who did started early and had specific themes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      When Angela Nissel started blogging, I don't think that "blog" was even a word yet; she referred to hers as an online diary. I wish I had read blogs back then; it'd be interesting to see what they were like then compared to how they are now.

      Delete
  5. A week of great posts that is truly worth reading through. Can’t believe I missed them when you first posted them. I especially like the procrastination post. You make some valid points about prioritizing your tasks.

    I hope to see more posts like these soon. I am always up for some good advice even if it’s advice I already know… it’s good to refresh some things in my mind so I apply them.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi patience2,
      Thanks! Procrastination is definitely my biggest weakness. I think that if the Internet had never been invented, I probably would have been able to get a lot more work done. :)

      Delete
  6. I have no interest in supporting people's spending habits, especially not stranger's. I'm of the mindset that if you want something, you work for it. One could argue blogging is work, but I disagree. Asking someone to help you pay off your debt, even in imaginative, entertaining ways, is not work; it's begging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      A lot of people agree with you; I read somewhere on one of those Amazon.com reviews that Karyn didn't receive as much money as she could have, even though millions of people visited her website.
      I've read articles by professional bloggers; I think that one reason they're able to earn money from their blog posts is because they're often written more like feature stories or news articles that appeal to a wide variety of readers. So in that sense I think of them more as journalists.

      Delete
  7. It's a tough one, I think. For adverts, I'm not a fan. But if it's a blogger I know who genuinely needs help, then . . . I think it might be okay if they reach out. I'd rather they do that than suffer. It's hard to know where to draw the line, though. I helped out a blogger once when I didn't have much money to spare and I never even got a thank you email. Sure, I shouldn't expect something in return, but it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      That's really rude of that blogger to not send you a thank you email; it always bothers me too when I don't get a thank you.
      I think it would depend on what the blogger wanted help for. I definitely wasn't willing to help that guy who wanted a car, because heck, I want a car too. I'd also like my own driver, because I don't like to drive. :)

      Delete
  8. I tend not to return to those blogs, because I see it as arrogance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misha,
      I think that guy who wanted other people to pay for his car was full of himself. I think it takes a certain sense of humility to work and earn your own money, because it shows that you're willing to get what you want on your own rather than have someone hand it to you. That's why I do all these awful part-time jobs; as much as I dislike them, at the same time they help me support myself.

      Delete
  9. I didn't have Julie, Julia hopes, but I did half hope that an agent would receive my query, check out my blog and tear up over the fabulous content. 3+ years later and it hasn't happened.

    Yeah, there are blog success stories out there. And Snooki has a second book deal. I can't begin to understand how the world operates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Snooki has a SECOND book deal? She didn't even really write the first book! That just really irks me, especially when I think of all the writers like us who are working hard just to get one book deal.

      Delete