Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm Not Buying It

When I worked in retail, the managers taught us not to take no for an answer (at least not at first) when selling items to customers. We were taught how to get customers who may have only walked in the store intending to browse to buy at least three or four items. We were also required to get as many customers to sign up for the store credit card as possible.


Yes, it can be annoying to have several cashiers a day asking you if you want the store credit card. But keep in mind that they don't have a choice about it; it's just their job. Most of the customers I dealt with would usually just say politely, "no thanks", and that would be it. Several customers, however, would get mad at me, and act as if I tried to steal their lunch or something. One customer stood by the cash register even after I'd rung up his order and kept interrupting my conversations with other customers. He told them, "She's LYING. Don't listen to her. That credit card is a waste of money and she's just EVIL for trying to get you to sign up for it."

Another customer got really angry when I asked him if he wanted to sign up for the card. He started yelling and said, "No, I do NOT want the card. I do NOT need my credit score lowered because of it, and I do NOT want my life to be RUINED because you made me sign up for something I don't need." And I was just like, "Don't blame me. I just work here."

So I try to be patient with cashiers and sales people when they try out their sales pitch on me. But sometimes it does get to be a little too much.

Almost every time I go to my neighborhood bank to make a deposit or withdrawal, one of the bankers will ambush me while I'm standing in line and have me sit down with him at his desk. The whole transaction would take less than a minute with a teller, but it always takes much longer when I have to sit with a banker.


Here's an example:

Banker: Hi, welcome! Are you making a withdrawal or a deposit today?

Me: A withdrawal. I just need to get a roll of quarters and...

Banker: Oh, I can help you with that! Why don't we step over to my desk over here.

Me: I'm actually in a hurry. I could just wait for the teller.

Banker: Oh, no, it won't take any time at all!

Me: Okay.

Banker: Now, have you signed up for our spend as much money as possible and we will reward you with a free pen plan?

Me: No, they asked me about that the last time I was here, and I really don't need it.

Banker: Oh, but it's a great plan. Think about how much money you'll save.

Me: No, thank you. I really just need my quarters.

Banker: Of course, of course. Have you heard about our valued customers plan? In exchange for your life savings and your soul, you'll get free airline miles. But they can only be used for three days a year, and you can only go to the South Pole. I've heard it's very nice this time of year.

Me: Really, I don't need any new features on my account. If I could just get my...

Banker: How about our Platinum Account plan? If you sign up for it today, you'll earn a 10% interest on your savings and all you have to do is get 50 of your closest friends to sign up for checking accounts with us. And of course, you also will have to promise never to close your account with us or we will be forced to hunt you down.

Me: Um....

What I really want to say is this: No, I DON'T want ANYTHING else on my account! I'm tired of getting a sales pitch every time I come here, and I must have said no to you people at least fifty times already! JUST GIVE ME MY MONEY!

But I can't say it. Because, you know, yelling and demanding money in a bank might make me sound like a bank robber.

10 comments:

  1. You would sound like a bank robber with that line!

    I was never good at sales. Luckily, I was never paid on commission.
    And when I worked for the car insurance company and a customer was upset with ANYONE, I had to apologize. We learned that in training.

    Like you, I try to always be nice to salespeople because I know they have to do it.

    But I've never had a bank person like yours. Maybe you should switch banks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you are a salesperson and fail to do your whole pitch, if you're being mystery shopped, you WILL get marked down for it.

    Banks are THE worst. This is why I do everything humanly possible to avoid interacting with a human teller. The amount of stuff they try to flog is unconscionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad I don't work in retail anymore! Sounds like a crazy bank. I hate it when people try to use a "hard close" on credit cards. I would be so much more willing to listen/return as a customer if they would be considerate of my time.

    -Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked at Macy's for what seemed like forever and besides requiring us to use the word "outstanding" at every possible ocassion (Have you ever noticed that? You will now! Ask an associate how they're doing today. Five dollars says they say "outstanding.") to somehow subliminally make you answer with that response on their online questionnaire of your experience, we were, of course, required to ram credit cards down peoples' throats. I was pretty good at it because I knew how to get people the discounts associated with the card and then would tell them to write me a check for their purchase and go home and close the account. Probably not what Macy's wanted, but hey, I got the account! But, one time I had a woman stand at my register during some crazy day (probably Black Friday) and spout off to me all the reasons why credit cards are in fact a temptation from the Devil himself, all the references in the Bible to the evils of credit and debt (I think she might have made up a few...they sounded less King James and more crazy, 21st century zealot) and why I was basically the handmaiden of Satan.

    I won the credit contest that week and the manager gave me $100 in Macy's gift cards. I used them for Christmas presents. I love the irony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Theresa,
    I've thought about changing banks. I've done business with other banks and they're not all like this one.
    I hate apologizing to customers, especially when it's their fault instead of mine.

    Hi eemusings,
    I never figured out who the mystery shoppers were. They would mark us down for the smallest things, like not greeting the customer or not wearing our name tags in the right place.

    Hi Delilah,
    I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore too. The only thing good about it was the employee's discount, but then I usually ended up spending more money because of it.

    Hi Melanie,
    That sounds interesting! Maybe I should have tried that, because I wasn't always very good about getting people to sign up for credit cards. Once or twice, though, I'd be making my credit card pitch and one of my coworkers would interrupt with their own pitch, and then they'd end up getting credit if the customer signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing about the guy standing there blaming you for ruining his credit! Some people take things waaaaayy too seriously! :) Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha that's so funny.

    my favorite is the customer's plan. HAHA life savings and your soul

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi notesfromnadir,
    Several of the customers took things way too seriously. I think that a lot of them were having bad days and took it out on the salespeople like me.

    Hi Hotcakes,
    Thanks! Sometimes I think if I did have to trade in my soul, they'd probably charge interest on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that you in the first picture, on the left? Because I think I used to know that lady.I hope I don't sound terribly creepy, but is your first name Melinda?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anonymous,
    No, that's not me in the picture. I got the picture from Google images. My name is not Melinda. But I prefer to stay anonymous on this site, which is why I'm not revealing my name or my picture.

    ReplyDelete