Monday, August 9, 2010

Blogger's Block

My eharmony membership expires next week. I'm not going to renew it.

On the one hand, I do like the way that eharmony works better than the two other dating sites I've tried. But I had more success finding dates on okcupid, and that site is free.

On the other hand, two more guys pulled the disappearing act on me after we got to the third phase of Guided Communication. That's TWELVE guys total. WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME? Do they not like what I write in the open-ended questions? I can't imagine why; I haven't written anything offensive or lame. It makes me angry that these jerks seem to get some kind of ego boost for giving girls like me false hope.

I did get to go on two dates, but neither of those guys was worth the money that I spent on this membership. I could have used the money to pay some bills. I could have used it for a one-year membership to the Art Institute. I could have gone to several movies; I haven't seen any movies in months. I could have bought ten new books.

I think I'm going to take a break from online dating, at least for now. I hate the stress it puts on me, and I don't think dating should be stressful, do you? I think that the stress is one reason I have blogger's block; I haven't been able to think of any good blog posts lately. I just feel frustrated.

To top that off, one of the classes I was supposed to teach just got cancelled due to low student enrollment. That's a loss of a significant source of income, and I cut my hours at my website job because I thought I was going to teach that class (and I don't know if I'll get those hours back). And of course, I found out about the cancellation just weeks before school starts, so it is too late to find another teaching job. This is yet another reason why I hate being an adjunct.

Although I disliked the book Eat, Pray, Love (I thought the author was a little selfish), I like the idea of taking time off to travel around the world. I've always wanted to do that, especially since I haven't been anywhere since college. I wish that I had the time and the money to see all the places that I've only read about, and try new foods and meet new people.

But since I can't do that, I think of writing as an escape. When I write, I'm able to go somewhere else and get to know new people, and forget about everything else.

That's why every time I feel angry about everything that's wrong with my life, I go to a coffeehouse, order a cup of coffee and a cookie, and write in my journal. Even though I have blogger's block, somehow I've gotten a lot of fiction writing done. I finally finished a draft of my first novel, and I've completed more than thirty pages of my second novel. And that is something.

I'm off to go drown my sorrows in caffeine. Hopefully my next blog post will be more lighthearted, but I didn't really feel lighthearted today.

13 comments:

  1. Honestly? You've summed up why I generally don't date. I don't need that kind of stress in my life--I have enough already.

    I too disliked Eat, Pray, Love (except for the pizza chapter, because that sounds YUMMY)--I think it's an interesting story, and to be fair to the author, she DID get it approved for a book before she left, so good for her for finding a way to make her dream a reality. That said, my God she was annoying. However, I think it will make a decent movie, because then we don't have to deal with her writing.

    And YAY for the fiction writing! I took a one-night class on Mastering Point of View a couple weeks ago at StoryStudio. I highly recommend it if it's ever offered again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally find dating websites to be a load of bunk, especially those who claim to be able to connect you with your soul mate. I always found meeting people in person was the best. When did humans become so shy that they can't just talk to a stranger? Trust me, you'll find it more fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi maybeimamazed02,
    I love StoryStudio. I wanted to take their one-night Novel Writing class, but it was full!
    I would actually like to see the movie version of that book, because I think this might be one of those cases where the movie is better.

    Hi Tetekai,
    I'll try. Maybe some more caffeine will make me feel better.

    Hi Geophrie,
    Dating sites do work for some people, just not for me, apparently. And people in Chicago don't generally talk to strangers, because it's not always safe. The last guy I talked to tried to grope me. The guy before him tried unsuccessfully to get me into his car. And I'm not shy; it's just that it's not always the best idea to talk to strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are we living mirrored lives? I'm stuck in the middle of India in "Eat, Pray, Love" for my book club meeting on Saturday and am literally forcing myself to finish it so that I can discuss it. With all this hype, the movie better blow the book out of the water. I'm breaking from online dating right now too. It's exhausting and entirely too much stress. It's definitely been an eye-opening experience that there are TONS of men out there who aren't even in the same galaxy when it comes to expectations of what they want to get out of the online dating thing. Keep us posted if you decide to give it another whirl and which site you decide to go with. Have you tried Plentyoffish.com?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry your class was cancelled. I hope you can get your hours back at the website job.

    I'm sorry eharmony didn't work out. You're right, dating shouldn't have to be so stressful. Do they have anything good locally? Through some organization? Or some hobby like an extension school or cooking class?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear your class was canceled! i had that happen to me once. it sucks :(

    i thought about online dating (which you know) but i still don't know if i am comfortable with it. *shrug* i'm also going to be so busy this fall with teaching that i don't know if i would be able to keep up...plus im a creeper magnet for some terrible reason, so yeah. *sigh* i don't know what i'll do.

    anyway, hang in there. hope things look up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I met my husband through online dating. But it's a lot to do with luck and timing, I believe. And I know how many idiots are out there!

    Sorry to hear about your class. That just sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melanie,
    I didn't like that part of the book either. I have read other travel narratives that I liked; I don't know what it is about that one.
    And I'm not sure what the guys who pull disappearing acts want out of online dating. It's like, why bother e-mailing me if they're just going to disappear?
    I haven't tried plentyoffish, but I have thought about it.

    Hi Theresa,
    I've thought about going to a singles party, but the ones I've read about seem to have a lot more women than men in attendance.

    Hi Catherine,
    Online dating can be very time-consuming; that's why I did it during the summer. But I think you should do it whenever you want to do it or whenever you're ready; it's up to you, :)

    Hi Talli,
    I seem to be a magnet for jerks, I guess. But I'm glad that online dating worked out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for canceling your eHarmony membership since it's clearly not working out.

    Too bad about your class being cancelled but maybe another opportunity will present itself to you.

    Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi notesfromnadir,
    Hopefully another opportunity will present itself. I found out that my website job is willing to let me have some of my hours back, so that's something. I'd still rather be teaching, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't sound like writer's block to me. Sounds like you have a lot to write/talk about!

    This makes me glad I never joined any dating sites. I've just come to terms with being alone for the rest of my life I guess.

    *sigh*

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dean,
    Even though I didn't always have the best experiences with dating sites, I'd encourage you to try one, if only for a month or two. You never know...you might meet someone you like!

    ReplyDelete