Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Home Is...

The small Midwestern town that I grew up in, even though I couldn't wait to leave it when I was a teenager.

The big Midwestern city that I've lived in for years, even though I don't even notice its beauty half the time because I'm so focused on getting to work, to the gym, to my apartment so that I can add to my list of things that annoy me (#47: People who sing along off-key to pop songs at the top of their lungs in the middle of a busy commuter train. Britney Spears' music should not be desecrated in that way.)

My dream house, which has a big front porch with a swing that I could sit on while reading books outside in the summer.

Not the tiny studio apartment that I currently live in.

The peace and quiet of my hometown, where I could close my eyes and actually hear myself think.

Not the car alarms blaring, horns honking, loud music playing, people yelling, and me shrieking at my window, "For the love of God, it's three A.M.! SHUT UP!"

The wide streets in my hometown that I used to ride my bike on to get to the ice cream shop or the playground.

The dirty subway tunnels that I walk through or the crowded trains that I ride to get to work, where some people practically tackle each other in order to get seats.

The classrooms where I teach, where several of my students have written on their course evaluations that I seem really happy when I'm teaching. And I am.

Not the classrooms and lecture halls where I attend graduate lectures that I usually only understand 10% of, and where I find myself thinking, Being trapped in an elevator for two hours with the Kardashians, their boyfriends, and their ex-husbands would be less painful than this.

The Harold Washington Library, where there are several floors of books. The first time I went there, I thought, In heaven, there are books. 

Not the libraries at the schools where I've taught, because many of the undergrads think that "Quiet Study Area" means "Talk, Socialize, Update Your Facebook Page Twenty Times Per Hour, and Play Music on Your iPhone without Headphones Area".

A guy who I could trust completely and who would make me think that maybe true love isn't something that only happens to other people.

Not any of the guys I've dated, especially not the one who criticized me for not "fixing myself up" enough for the date or the one who made up a lame excuse to leave early less than an hour after the date started, which made me think, I wonder if voodoo dolls really work. Maybe I could buy one and name it after him.

The pages of my journal and the files that hold my manuscripts in my laptop, where I can immerse myself in the worlds that I've created.

Not the tabloids that over-analyze celebrities' lives and invade their privacy or the reality shows that make it seem like you have to be drunk, stupid, or mean in order to be famous.

The books by good authors that inspired me to write in the first place.

They say that home is where your heart is. I think that your heart can be in more than one place. I also think that home is made up of all the places and things that make you happy, and that help you survive all the other places that you can't wait to get away from.

What about you? What is home to you?

16 comments:

  1. Home is wherever I can be surrounded by people I love. The comment about noisy student studyers made me laugh because I often work at a coffee shop and the other day two college students were "studying" near me and all they did was talk. I wanted to tell them to focus on their work, but I restrained myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,
      I also wish I could tell the students at the school libraries to spend more time studying and less time doing everything but studying. Then everyone would get a lot more work done.

      Delete
  2. You'll find your home. My friend did. She was older than you when it all came together, but it did. And, luckily, parts of your life are home even if others aren't.
    Yes, what feels like home is layered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Thank you for your encouragement; it helps. I hope I do find my home someday. Some days it feels like I'll never find it, even though I know what I want. It's just so difficult to get it.

      Delete
  3. My home is the house we lived in for 13 years, that we moved away from last year and sold this year. I will always miss it and it will always feel like my one true home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      It's too bad we can't take the houses we love with us when we move away. I don't have the same kind of attachment to the Chicago apartments I've lived in, though. Mostly it's because I associate those places with my neighbors, whom I definitely do not love.

      Delete
  4. Lovely thoughts, NW. I think you're right. Home is where you make it. To me, it's a refuge from the world, a quiet sanctuary to call my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      It is good to have a place to get away from the rest of the world, especially if it's a quiet place. The quiet atmosphere is one of the things I miss most about living in a small town.

      Delete
  5. I love my house right now. The city is okay - well, the city is gorgeous and the people generally fun, but corrupt politics and a crumbling infrastructure (I mean bridges on the verge of collapse) are ruining it all. But I love going inside to my warm house, shutting the door and curtains, and being safe and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      Your house sounds really nice. I'd like to have a house someday. I've even though about how I would decorate it. I'd include a writing studio, definitely. :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post. My heart resides in multiple place: where I grew up and London. There are things I love and hate about both, but they each have a pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      I think Chicago has a pull for me too, even though I'll always be a small-town girl. I think that pull is one of the reasons I've stayed in this city for so long.

      Delete
  7. I love this post! So wonderful that you've found home in so many places. Home to me is where I'm happiest... and that's usually wherever I'm with the people I love and doing what I love - writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Writing is like coming home, because it feels like that is where you belong. I wish I could feel that way about academic writing too, but it's just not the same...

      Delete
  8. This is an awesome reflection on all the things that make one feel at home, it made me smile, I'm not "going home" for Thanksgiving, exactly, though I'm also staying at home. Such a simple word with so much attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi New York Cliche,
      Thanks! I'm not traveling for Thanksgiving either, since my parents live in another state; I'll just be seeing them for a few days during the Christmas break. But like you, I do consider the city that I live in to be home, so I'll be staying home for the holidays.

      Delete