Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Friends with Kids

Ever since I turned thirty-seven, I've been thinking a lot about the fact that I will most likely never have children. Richard Gere can father a child at age sixty-eight, but women can't do that. I know that a lot of women do get pregnant in their forties, but that usually happens with the help of fertility treatments or surrogates, which I, an underpaid English teacher with two jobs and thousands of dollars in student loan debt, cannot afford. Not to mention I do not have a husband or a boyfriend, and I'm on the pill, so I'd say my chances of getting pregnant are slim to none.

When I lived in Small Town, several of my friends there had young children, which affected their social lives. That is, unlike my college-aged neighbors, who regularly woke me up at 2 A.M. with their loud parties that made them sound like they were drunk wolves howling at the moon, my thirtysomething friends often had to leave our get-togethers by nine or ten P.M. to get home in time to pay the babysitter or tuck in their children.

When they hosted parties at their homes, they often invited their other friends to bring their kids along, and they would have kid-friendly activities available, like a crafts table, a swing set and plenty of toys, etc. The kids would work on their art projects or run around, playing, while their parents kept one eye on them while conversing with the rest of us. I would sit with the parents, suddenly feeling so much younger than them, despite the closeness in our ages, because I did not have any children of my own. Unlike my friends with kids, I never had to say things like, "Annie, be careful with your soda. You're going to spill it," or "No, you can't have any more soda. If you drink any more you're going to be up all night and then I'll be up all night and you know how cranky Mommy gets when she gets tired," or "Oh, my God! Do not eat that worm! That's not food! I am so sorry, everyone. He's just curious. My son doesn't normally eat worms or anything else that's still moving, haha!"

I didn't really know what to say to them sometimes. It's not like I could relate to their stories about being up all night with a crying baby or how difficult it was to handle life with a toddler. So I'd usually say things like, "So, I, uh, hear that it's hard to get kids into kindergarten these days! What is up with that?"

Here in College Town, I've joined a Meetup group made up of women, most of whom are close to my age, who go out for dinner to various restaurants in the area. At a Thai restaurant one night a few weeks ago, we were talking about motherhood. I said I was ambivalent about having kids, and one of the women, who had a child of her own, said, "If you're not a hundred percent sure that you want to be a mother, you shouldn't do it."

And I knew she was right. My father is still holding out hope that I'll be married with at least one child within the next few years. My mother tells me about all her friends' daughters, most of whom are younger than me, who are already married with children. She has called me an old maid on more than one occasion, including my birthday one year, where instead of giving me birthday wishes she commented on the fact that I was now an old maid in my thirties. I haven't told either of them that it is very unlikely I'll be a mother. But then again, they still think that I'm a Republican, like they are, and I have to bite my tongue from shrieking like a banshee when my mother quotes Sean Hannity and says that Donald Trump is a "good man". I learned a long time ago that the less they know about my life, the better, because we fight enough about the little they do know as it is.

My parents are partly why I am ambivalent about having children. My mother is a verbally abusive, controlling pessimist who is always convinced that the worst-case scenario will happen, which is why she predicted that I wouldn't last five years as a teacher. (I've been teaching for more than a decade now, but she keeps reminding me that I'm untenured and not secure in my job, in order to emphasize that I made the wrong decision.) My father is a verbally abusive, controlling cock-eyed optimist who stubbornly holds on to his view of the world even when everything is falling to pieces around him. My sibling is their golden child, who is not treated half as badly by them as I am, and gets angry when I get upset with our parents because my sibling agrees with both of them that I am the one with the problem.

I only see my parents twice a year for a few days each time, and I call them once a week out of obligation. I talk to my sibling less often. Therefore, I've always viewed time with family as time to dread and be endured, not time to look forward to or to cherish. It's hard for me to picture myself with a happy family because I never got to have one, and part of me is afraid that I'll turn out to be like my mother or my father if I had my own kids. And I know that although they would love to have grandchildren, eventually their cruel streak would surface and they would lash out at my kids. And then I'd fight back as hard as I could because I'll be damned if I let them hurt my kids like they hurt me.

I think that parents have the toughest, most stressful, most heartbreaking, and most rewarding job in the world. It's a job that they can't ever quit, and I have to admit, the idea of having my own son or daughter who may even look like me, someone who I would love unconditionally, is appealing.

But I've always viewed motherhood as akin to winning the lottery. It'd be an amazing life-changer, but it's okay if it never happens. And I haven't gone out of my way to buy lottery tickets. And although my job status as an untenured college professor is insecure, I like that if I were to get a good job offer at some school halfway across the country, I have the freedom to just pack up my stuff and go.

Here in College Town and the other small Midwestern towns that surround it, people typically marry their high school or college sweethearts before they turn twenty-five and have several kids before they turn thirty. That's why most of the single guys my age are divorced with children, including two of the guys I dated, the Artist and the Musician. I know that it's slightly unrealistic to prefer to date a guy close to my age without kids, but...

Sometimes I feel guilty about the fact that I'm not thrilled at the prospect of becoming a mother or stepmother. I feel like society pressures women to view marriage and motherhood as not only a happy ending but the only happy ending. And if a woman chooses to create a different kind of happy ending for herself, she's considered "weird."

On the other hand, I'd rather be "weird" than to be living a life that I don't really want.

What about you? Do you have kids? If you do, how did you know that you wanted to be a parent? If you don't have kids, how do you feel about parenthood?

10 comments:

  1. Did we have the same mother? I’ve always known I never wanted kids. I hated kids when I was a kid. But it didn’t dawn on me until 5 years ago that it was ok to not want them. I got married young and my timeline for having kids was always “in a few years.” Seven years into our marriage, my husband and I found out that he is infertile (or was, we’re not sure; he had a lot of health problems at the time and now I’m on BC). Once I got over the guilt of “denying” my husband a child - he’s older so I thought maybe his fertile years were wasted on me - I came to realize that I dodged a major bullet. Because I agree with your friend - don’t have kids if you’re not 100% in it. Yeah you could find that you enjoy motherhood but you could also grow to resent a child that you chose to bring into this world. And that’s a big gamble to take with someone else’s life - especially if they have no say in the matter. Honestly, it felt like a burden was lifted off my shoulders. Suddenly, I didn’t feel like I was in a rush to get things out of my system. I could work on myself and my own issues. I could start planning for a retirement without worrying about a college savings account or maximizing my pay (kids are expensive!). I’m not contributing to overpopulation. I don’t need, nor do I want, another person out there who looks like me or has my personality. My parents were shit and the last thing this world needs is more of us. Now my life is filled with travel, dogs, hobbies, and dinners in front of the TV. I can’t imagine it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi nomdeplume,
      I've known plenty of people who resented their children, partly because they blamed their kids for being the reason that they couldn't do other things they wanted to do. And in some cases, they neglected their kids because of that. And I like your description of your life; it sounds pretty good to me, especially the part about dogs and travel. :) There are so many things that I still want to do, which would be much harder for me to do if I had kids. I think that some people truly want to be parents more than anything, and that's why parenthood is right for them. But just because it's what makes them happy that doesn't mean it will make everyone happy; we're all different from each other and want different things.

      Delete
  2. I can see how your relationship with your parents throws doubts about yourself into the mix, but I tried very hard not make my mother's parenting mistakes - I made a whole heap of my own instead :-)

    Whenever I've been invited to dinner (and indeed, even some parties and weddings) kids tend not to be invited too - which makes everyone feel much more relaxed and not 'on duty' for a night. It's nice to talk as adults without modifying topics/language for little ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      The only times my friends in Small Town didn't bring their kids was when we went to bars, and even then they would have to leave early. I did notice that I had to watch what I talked when the kids were around, because as they say, "little pitchers have big ears".
      I like to think that since I have an awareness that the way my parents have treated me is wrong, I would be extra-careful not to treat my own kids that way. But I'm still anxious about the prospect of making the mistake of being like them, even just for a moment.

      Delete
  3. I can definitely relate to this. My family life while growing up was less than stellar and I would have been perfectly happy not to have children. But after I had them they rocked my world and are definitely on my plus side of the ledger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,
      I have heard about many people who initially thought they didn't want children, but they changed their minds once the kids were born. And I think that's great that that happened to you and that your kids make you so happy. What I worry about is that my mind still wouldn't have changed even after my own kid was born, and that would be tough because parenthood is a lifetime commitment.

      Delete
  4. My mom got pregnant with me in her forties, and she did it the old-fashioned way. lol I was the surprise baby. ;)

    With that said, I can totally relate to this. I may never have kids, either. My closest friend has 3 boys. And I know several girls I went to high school with that have 4! Or at least one. And I do feel so young when I'm around them and their children. I have nephews that I've helped raise, so I can often contribute to conversations about babies, toddlers, and kids, but I always have to say, "With my nephews..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrys,
      I admire any parent who has the energy to keep up with three or four kids (one of my old high school classmates now has 5!) because I would have trouble just raising one. I used to think that motherhood was another thing that I ended up sacrificing due to my pursuit of my career in academia, and in a way that's true. But on the other hand, there are a lot of professors with children, and I think deep down I just wasn't that enthusiastic about the idea of becoming a mother.

      Delete
  5. I just know that some people crave for children and can't have them yet some people have them and don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly Steel,
      The way you described it sums it up really well. It is so unfair that some people spend years trying to get pregnant but are unable to; I've heard about how heartbreaking it can be to not be able to conceive, and I've also heard about difficulties that potential adoptive parents face as well.

      Delete