Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Breaking Up With Friends

After I graduated from college, a girl I had been friends with for four years stopped returning my phone calls. I later found out from a mutual friend that she moved to New York. I was hurt that she didn't want to be my friend anymore, but I accepted it and didn't try to contact her again.

Last year, I befriended a young woman my age who lived in my neighborhood. We were friends until she got a boyfriend. Then all of a sudden she was no longer able to hang out, because she was always spending time with him. I still see her from time to time, and she likes to talk on and on about how well things are going with her boyfriend. She never mentions how she ignored my e-mailed invitations to hang out or how she dropped me the minute she found someone.

It's often awkward and painful when friendships end, especially when you're the one who gets dropped as a friend. I usually don't get an explanation for why the relationship ended, and I don't ask for one; I am afraid that I'll either get a list of excuses or a list of reasons why that person doesn't like me anymore. I figure it's better to just take the hint and move on.

It's even more difficult when you're the one who wants to end the friendship. That's a problem that I'm dealing with right now. I was friends with this girl for years. But now it feels like we don't have much in common anymore. I don't approve of some of the choices she made, and it's hard for me to listen to her talk about them. I tried to give her constructive criticism once or twice, but she didn't listen.

She is also similar to many people in my life who don't understand that my day doesn't end at five P.M., and I'm not free every weekend. Many people believe that college teachers have it easy: we only have to teach a few times a week, and we have the rest of the day free and summers off. They don't know that untenured college teachers often have to work through the summer, because we don't earn enough during the school year to live on. I may just spend a few hours in the classroom, but I still have appointments with students, e-mails to respond to, lesson plans to make, papers to grade, and department meetings to attend. Not to mention I have my website job and my dissertation to work on.

This person has always expected me to spend more time with her than I'm able to, even when I explained that I had to work. I finally realized that I didn't enjoy her company anymore; it felt like we were having the same conversation over and over again. I could no longer tolerate certain things about her that had bothered me for years.

I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I didn't come right out and say why I no longer wanted to be friends. I just stopped calling. I didn't call her for months, but then she started calling and e-mailing me. I told her that I couldn't hang out anymore because I was busy with work and school, which was true. But she kept insisting that I set aside time for her. I finally told her that one reason I didn't want to hang out was because of certain things she kept doing, though I tried to be tactful about it.

For a while she stopped calling. But now, months later, she's e-mailing me again, and it infuriates me that she won't leave me alone. When former friends stopped returning my messages, it didn't take me that long to get the hint. I didn't keep contacting them, as this person has done.

When you break up with someone you've been dating, only in the worst scenarios does that person keep contacting you. And at least when you exit a romantic relationship, you can tell that person that you just don't feel that way anymore, or that you want to see other people. But I don't know the best way to break up with a friend. I feel like I can't say, "I just don't enjoy your company anymore."

I haven't returned any of her messages. I'm afraid that if I do I'll blow up at her and tell her what I think of her, once and for all. And even then I'm afraid that she still won't get it and will keep pressuring me to be her friend. But I don't WANT to, and I don't appreciate being made to feel like I HAVE to. You'd think after two years she'd have gotten the message.

Have you ever been in this situation? Have you ever ended a friendship before? How do you deal with it when people want to be your friend, but the feeling isn't mutual?

14 comments:

  1. I have, and finally I had to just come out and say it. It wasn't easy, and I'm sure I hurt her feelings, but I was hurting her feelings by avoiding her, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      I think I might have to come out and say it if this person keeps contacting me. I kept telling her that I wasn't available, but she wouldn't listen.

      Delete
  2. These things get complicated. Some of our friends are situational--once the situation changes, there might not be a lot left there to talk about. I recommend you telling her that you're in the homestretch of your dissertation and you just don't have the time right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Thanks for the advice! I did try telling her that I was busy with my dissertation, but she still pressures me to spend time with her. I think she has a lot more free time than I do. I told her that I don't have as much free time as I used to, but she doesn't get it. Her refusal to listen to me really bothers me.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame you. It's hard on both ends. I hope she gets the hint soon.

      Delete
  3. I've totally been in this situation---creepily similar. I had the realization that the friendship just wasn't healthy for me anymore and tried telling her tactfully what some of my issues were. When polite honesty didn't work, I played the busy card. When she completely ignored that, I resorted to avoidance---to the point of hiding in my bedroom when she came knocking on my door. I hated to be rude like that, but nothing else worked. Some people only hear what they want to hear no matter what you're actually saying. So, sadly, I just had to continue to ignore her and eventually she stopped trying to get in touch. Eventually. Good luck with this---stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      It helps to know that other people have gone through the same thing, though I'm sorry that happened to you. You're right that some people only hear what they want to hear; the person I described just refuses to accept that I can't spend time with her anymore. I've told her several times that I'm not available, yet she continues to pressure me to spend time with her. I finally stopped talking to her because she doesn't listen to what I say anyway. Most people would've picked up on it by now, but unfortunately she's one of the exceptions. I don't think she even realizes how irritating and clingy she's being. I just think it's better to step away from the friendship when it becomes a source of stress and frustration.

      Delete
  4. I've been in similar situations, too...on both sides of the fence. I think it happens fairly often. Like Theresa in her comment above said, "Some of our friends are situational.." I love that! It is so true. And the older we become, the more people we meet, we take on new friendships...and something's gotta give. And those friends that we don't have much in common with anymore, are the ones we lose track of. Could you write her an e-mail, explaining that you two really don't have anything in common anymore.That way you wouldn't have to come out and say you don't like some of her choices, etc. You don't need to mention about not having time (since she doesn't seem to GET THAT! Hope this helps! (and PS I'm so sorry I haven't stopped by in such a long time. I've given myself a new schedule to attempt to keep. Speaking of working a lot, I need some Time Management Classes! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky,
      No worries! I know how it goes with a tough schedule; I haven't been able to blog that much lately either. I thought about sending her an e-mail; I already told her that I was too busy to hang out, and she kept pressuring me to spend time with her. I'm afraid that even if I told her that we didn't have much in common anymore, she still wouldn't get it; she'd probably claim that we do still have things in common (though we don't). She'd also probably still keep insisting that I spend time with her. It bothers me that she's basically trying to make me to be her friend, so that it's only about what she wants, not what I want. Some people just don't understand, or they refuse to understand, and I think she's one of them.

      Delete
  5. Wow, she really doesn't want to let go! I think the best thing to do then, is just ignore her. Any phone calls, texts, e-mails, etc. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky,
      Thanks for the advice! I wish she would just let go; she's just making the situation more difficult for both of us.

      Delete
  6. It's an awkward situation, and I have no advice. I've been in friendships before that have run their course, we've both realised it at the same time (or so it seems in retrospect). I hope this resolves itself without too much hurt on either side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      I hope it resolves itself too; I don't want to hurt her, but I don't want to stay friends with her either. It's difficult because she just doesn't realize that the friendship has run its course; I think she refuses to realize it and thus keeps pressuring me to stay friends with her.

      Delete
  7. Yeah that's just annoying. I hope she does get the hint and soon.

    ReplyDelete