Friday, December 16, 2011

My Christmas Gift to Myself

I just started my Christmas shopping this week, because I've been writing my dissertation, teaching, grading papers, meeting with my professors and students, working extra hours for my website job, and watching Law and Order reruns. I only go shopping on weekdays; it's easier and less crowded during the week rather than the weekend, when most of the tourists come out. That way, I'm much less likely to start head-butting any tourists that get in my way.

This year, I've decided to give a small gift to myself, because I've been going through some difficult situations lately. Not to sound too materialistic or anything, but I think that a Christmas gift might make me feel better.

I've been thinking about all the things that are on my Christmas wish list. Here are a few examples:

The guys from The Big Bang Theory would move in next door. I think they'd be fun to hang out with, and they'd always be up for eating takeout with me. They could also probably fix my laptop for me, like one of them did for Penny, the girl next door. Since they're all so smart, they could probably build a new computer for me.

A handsome, respectful, and kind guy (perhaps one who looks like Josh Kloss, the guy from the Katy Perry video) who says stuff like, "I hate it when girls are too thin. More chocolate?"

Free coffee for a year. Or better yet, my own personal Starbucks cafe, and only the people who don't camp out with their laptops while nursing one cup of coffee for four hours will be allowed to hang out there. And there won't be any rude guys trying to steal my table by putting their laptops on it after I get up for two seconds to grab a napkin. And there will always be enough glazed doughnuts, because whenever Starbucks runs out of them, I'm tempted to bite the hand of the person who takes the last doughnut, as well as the hands of the guys who try to take my table (I don't, though. But if I was a vampire, I would.)

But since I can't have any of these things, I decided to give myself one thing that I can have: time to write. I haven't worked on my novel in weeks, partly because of the difficult situations going on in my life, and partly because I've had so much work to do. Writing has always been very soothing and therapeutic for me, and it's the one thing that always makes me happy. So I think that one reason I've been so stressed out lately is because I haven't had time to write.

I went to a coffeehouse and wrote more than a thousand words, and I felt better than I had in a long time. It felt good to do something that was just for me,  and it only cost a few bucks.

What about you? What's on your Christmas wish list?

17 comments:

  1. Good for you, taking some time for yourself!

    I try to only shop on week days for the SAME reason. I have a 9-5 job, so I squeeze it in at nights. Hate crowds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can get behind that. I barely started Christmas shopping this week because I hate the traffic on the roads. My goal is to use the winter "break" as time to work on the novel. I picked it up again after leaving it for a month, and I forgot so much of what I had already written and what needed to be worked on. I'd like to get a first draft completed before I have to start working on the next chapter of the diss (i.e., middle of January)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you took time to write. It feels good to do something just for you. I'm my escape from all life's hectic obligations.
    And I think your man is perfect. I hope you find one who FEEDS you the chocolates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gia,
    My class schedule allows me to shop during the day, which is good because the trains and buses get really crowded at night. I'm always afraid that someone might try to steal my shopping bags or my purse, especially because my wallet's been stolen before.

    Hi Anna,
    I have to work on my dissertation during the winter break, because I'm really behind. It's been hanging over me for months, so I'll be so relieved when I finally finish it. That'll take a while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi E.R. King,
    If I had found a guy like that on one of the online dating sites, my attitude towards dating would be a lot different. But unfortunately, there are a lot of guys on those sites who apparently don't want girls to eat any chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Besides things I can't afford like a new car or an iPad? My Christmas gift to myself is similar to yours... Reading for pleasure. I havent been able to do that for an entire year so now all I want to do over my Xmas break is read books for pure enjoyment. I just went to the library yesterday and picked out my first five :-) enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teddi,
    I'd like a new iPad, or maybe a Kindle so that I could buy some e-books. But I'm afraid that if I buy one I'll get robbed; the thieves on the trains and buses always seek out the people with the expensive electronics. I like reading too, so I'm planning to buy a couple of new books; I've already read all of my old ones several times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the time to write idea! My gift to myself is the opposite - time to read, without feeling guilty for not doing anything else.
    But I would love love love the free coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deniz,
    Getting free coffee would be wonderful; then I could mock the rude guys who try to steal my table and say stuff like, "I'm sorry. I can't hear you because I'm too busy enjoying my free coffee. Do you get free coffee? No? Too bad. Run along then." Also, one reason I'm envious of rich people is that they can buy coffee whenever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got myself a gift too, just something small but it was nice to treat myself. I hope yours does the trick!

    This year i would like to campaign for the poor Turkeys who get eaten every year, they must hate Christmas. I'm making a stand by eating chicken only.

    I would also like Robert Pattinson in my stocking - and i'm not talking about the stocking under my tree ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alice X,
    Tee hee hee!
    I don't really like eating turkey either. I just like the mashed potatoes and green beans. I've thought about becoming a vegetarian, but I don't think I have enough willpower; I don't eat meat every day though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time to write is awesome. BUT - if someone offers you number 2 - TAKE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Libby,
    I definitely wouldn't turn down that gift, tee hee. I wish there were more guys like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to live next store to those Big Bang guys!

    I like the idea of writing time as a gift to yourself. I'll take the same thing, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nicki,
    I think the Big Bang cast would definitely be an improvement over my current neighbors. I especially like Sheldon; he's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Kloss guy is pretty hot. I don't think you're being unreasonable in wishing for him. And you definitely deserve free coffee.

    You've had a lot of ups and downs this year. I hope 2012 is much better for you.

    Thanks for the laughs. I love visiting your blog for its honesty and humor. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Theresa,
    I'd watch an action movie (even though I don't like most action movies) if Josh Kloss was starring in it, especially because he'd probably wear a muscle shirt in it. :)
    Thank you for the encouragement; it always helps to read such kind words. I hope 2012 is better too; I'm not sorry that 2011 is over. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete