Friday, July 23, 2010

To Tweet or Not to Tweet

I've been reading on more than one site that one good way to promote your blog is through Twitter. I'm probably one of the few people of my generation who doesn't have a Twitter page, partly because I'm prejudiced against it; several of my students update their Twitter pages during my classes and that makes me turn into Professor Angry Face.

Also, up until recently, I wasn't entirely sure what Twitter is. And I couldn't immediately see what all the fuss was about. Why would I want to write brief updates on what I was doing several times a day? I mean, other than the romantic encounters with a guy who looks like George Clooney and my weekly car chases where I go after people who cut in front of me in line, I lead a fairly uneventful life.

If I was to have a Twitter page, it would probably look like this:

Just shoved a guy who brushed his hand against my chest on the sidewalk. He claimed it was an accident.

Yeah right loser. Watch me accidentally push you into traffic.

Having lunch at a restaurant in Wicker Park. Waiter keeps giving me weird looks.

Maybe because am the only one in here without multiple piercings and tattoos.

Stop staring at me stop staring at me stop staring at me WHAT?

Oh. Was looking at customer next to me, who seems to have passed out on table.

And now he's snoring.

Cute guy in restaurant looked at me. Was cool until I choked on my hamburger.

What's IN this? Now cute guy thinks I'm weird.

Got yelled at in grocery store by lady who was blocking my way. She started yelling when I said excuse me.

Oh yeah? Well maybe you should say hello to my little friend. He's called Febreze and I'm not afraid to use it.

Just updated my blog post, "Why My Blog is Awesome".

Got e-mail from eharmony guy I e-mailed more than a week ago. Why so late response?

Feel like telling him to shove it.

Then again, might not. Am curious.

Just got back from gym. Succeeded in not tripping over machines like last time.

Am supposed to be working on dissertation. Watched Law and Order instead.

Got e-mail from student in fall class. Student wants detailed description of every assignment so can work ahead.

Feel like telling him to...oh, can't say it. Too unteacherly.

Unteacherly is a word. So there.

Supposed to be completing projects for website job. Watched Criminal Minds instead.

Maybe should stop watching so many shows about criminals. Maybe should watch show about vampires instead.

What's so sexy about a vampire whose natural instinct is to kill you? Do not get it.

Maybe should try watching Real Housewives.

And now remote control is broken because kept whapping sofa with it every time Housewife said something stupid.

As it stands now, I probably won't get a Twitter page anytime soon. The only reason I'd get a Twitter page would be to promote my blog. I don't think that's enough of a reason to have a page because then I'd probably just get bored with Tweeting really fast. Also, because I hate to talk on the phone and I hate texting even more, I haven't updated my cell phone in years (though I probably should). So I don't have one of those fancy, hi-tech phones that would make it easy to Tweet whenever I want.

One of the blogs I follow, Date me, D.C.! (it's a great blog! check it out!) mentioned the blogger's thoughts on starting a vlog. I finally figured out how to record myself on my web cam. And no, I didn't go all Jenna Jameson on it (I never would, partly because she kind of scares me. Don't know why. I have a lot of irrational fears, including my fear of being kidnapped by clowns); I just figured it might be cool to upload videos of myself as a way to do something different on my blog.

But I don't think I'll do that anytime soon either. Anyone who knew me would probably be able to figure out who I am because of what I write on this blog. But at the same time I'd rather stay anonymous online, at least for now. I like the idea of being (mostly) unknown.

11 comments:

  1. I think all my Twitter followers come from my blog as opposed to the other way around...
    It took me a really long time to get used to facebook, I still don't really like Twitter, but I'm trying really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... I would read your Twitter. It sounds like it would be pretty funny. Then again, while I have a Twitter account, I forget that I have it leave it unread and un-updated for weeks at a time. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah - i'm not doing the twitter thing, either.
    figure if i ever get published, then it could be a useful tool. but until then i don't think i need to clog up twitter space with the likes of:

    "i'm listening to a-ha

    i wish a-ha wasn't breaking up

    hope to see a-ha in london"

    though, there are a couple of your tweets that could double for mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter's one of those things I said I'd never do, like facebook, both of which I now do. But it's for work so it's ok. I can't say it has helped my blog that much, or if I even care. My blog is my fun activity, twitter isn't fun for me. I'm learning, I'm doing, but not sure I'm liking. One thing I noticed is that really active twitter people don't have a lot of followers on their blogs, although they may have thousands on their twitter accounts. I'm still not sure I get it. Or like it. But your 'tweets' are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That settles it - you must get a Twitter account right NOW! If you will, I will because I want to read those kinds of tweets.

    I've been avoiding it because if I have anything else pull me away from writing, I fear I'll never write again. But I also thought it would be fun to get a sentence about something crazy about my day subbing in real time.

    Networking is making me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck w/ Twitter, right now I can't upload my profile picture & there's a silly default cartoon up there.

    Some people love Twitter, others don't see the point of it. Give it a shot, it's free, & see how it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mei,
    I don't have Facebook, though I have thought about it. My students say it's a good way to reconnect with people you haven't seen in a while.

    Hi Jane,
    Thanks! I figure that I'd probably forget to update my Twitter page too, especially since I am already focused on updating this blog.

    Hi mi,
    I think I might get a Twitter page if I get published too, but in the meantime I'm going to hold off on getting one.

    Hi Karen,
    Thanks! I figure since I don't have to Twitter right now, I probably won't start a page anytime soon. But it is interesting how so many more people are willing to follow Twitter pages than blogs.

    Hi Theresa,
    I think that Twitter might be distracting too. Blogging is distracting enough as it is, though I like it so I don't mind.

    Hi notesfromnadir,
    Maybe I'll try it sometime, but I think that for now I'll just stick with blogging. I might try Twitter if I ever get one of those Blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha if you got a twitter account I would follow. Loved those ideas.

    xx,
    Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swore I wouldn't but I finally joined Twitter. I know, I know...but it's good for getting blog hits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see your point. I have found Twitter to be helpful in terms of promoting my blog, but also really helpful in meeting other writers/teachers to exchange ideas with and so on. It took a while-but it was worth it. Twitter isn't for everyone though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Delilah,
    Thanks! It was just a typical day...:)

    Hi Sadako,
    The blog hits were why I was tempted to join Twitter too, but I think I'll hold off on it for now.

    Hi Catherine,
    I didn't consider the idea of meeting other teachers; that sounds interesting. I'm still not sure if it's for me though.

    ReplyDelete