Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Liberal in a Town Full of Trump Supporters

Small Town Local #1: I think President Trump has the right idea! I want to shake hands with that man!

Me:




Small Town Local #2: If people are poor, it's because they don't work hard enough.

Me:



Almost two years ago, I went from living in a big city where drag queens read stories to children in public libraries to a small town where many people think that homosexuality is a "choice". It was definitely a culture shock.

Although I've become fond of several of my students, sometimes listening to some of them is like listening to a panel of Fox News correspondents. Every time I see one of them wearing a Make America Great Again hat or one of the other locals drive around town in a pickup truck with a giant Confederate flag flying from the back, I have to bite my tongue to keep from screaming.

Yes, it's America, and they're entitled to their beliefs. And I have to be very careful not to become one of those professors who use their classrooms as political soapboxes. But it isn't easy to live in a town where a lot of people think that Hillary Clinton should be "locked up," shake their heads over "fake news", and yell racial slurs at minorities from their truck windows.

I'll be the first to admit that not all of the people in Small Town are like this, and fortunately, I haven't heard any of my students say racial slurs (although one of my students, who is from another country, confided in me that other students from other classes ridiculed him and laughed at him because of his accent when he tried to talk to them).

I'll also admit that there are advantages to small town life, such as the fact that I'm far less likely to get body slammed for my wallet or for no reason at all (both of which did happen to me in the city I lived in previously), and people are generally friendlier here.

I'll also admit that I'm not completely liberal, partly due to certain liberals whose behavior is often as intolerant as some of the Trump supporters I've met, like the ones who try to prevent controversial people from speaking at colleges and have even gone so far as verbally (or physically) attacking them when they try to give their speeches.

Many colleges are in small towns like this one, so it is quite likely that I'll spend the rest of my career in a small town. I'd be okay with that, as long as I had more job security, a salary that enabled me to quit my second job and have at least one day off a week, and more classes that I want to teach, rather than the "required" classes that most of the tenured professors do not want to teach. That's not the case at the school where I'm teaching now, which is why I want to leave.

I've applied to almost forty schools, and I'm hopeful that I'll find something, although I've already received a few rejections. There's a strong possibility that I'll still be here next year, although it's not a guarantee.

I'm worried, though. If I don't find something better for next year, then who's to say the situation will be any different next year? I'll still have mostly the same qualifications. I do need to do more academic research, which is hard when I'm working about thirty-five to forty hours a week at my teaching job (due to my full teaching load, large number of students, department/committee meetings, etc.) and twenty hours (and sometimes more) a week at my website job.

It's ironic (and unfair) that in order to advance in my career I have to do more research, but because I'm not in an advanced status yet I don't have time to do that research. Tenured professors, on the other hand, have fewer classes to teach and assistants to grade papers and hold office hours for them. But I digress. Such is academia. I probably should have gone into something less stressful, like taste testing for the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Un.

What about you? How do you react when people start praising a politician that makes you want to Google "one-way ticket to Canada" and "cheap flasks"?

10 comments:

  1. My president in South Africa is just as bad, if not worse. I have recently decided to stop being scared and just do what I want, and hopefully save enough money one day, so that my family and I could go live in another country where I would have more freedom. It is hard to bite your tongue when people are saying disgusting and awful things. But it's their right to be evil. Just don't let it get you down. Focus on what you can control. You can try and inform people, but I have a feeling they might not hear what you have to say. In the one ear, and out the other.

    I know you will get another teaching job. I can't believe how long you've been going on, working multiple jobs at the same time. I bet you must be mentally exhausted by now. I wish I could help.

    Hoping things improve for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Murees,
      I'm definitely exhausted; I've been working multiple jobs since I was twenty-two, and I'm almost thirty-six now. It was a little easier to keep up with it when I was in my twenties, but I'm older now and wish I could slow down and still be able to support myself without struggling. The support of you and our fellow bloggers helps, though.
      I hope that someday and you and your family can live someplace where you have more freedom too. It's discouraging when we can't believe in our own president, but unfortunately that kind of thing is pretty common.

      Delete
  2. Brexit is, of course, the big thing here at the moment, and probably just as divisive as Trump. I have strong opinions, but dislike my 'side' being nasty to the other. It makes me want to slink back into no man's land. The vocabulary of winners and losers rankles too - no one will know if we've 'won' for many years yet.

    So, yes, I can understand exactly where you're coming from.

    Keep applying, keep hoping, I've still got my fingers crossed :-)

    (wow, this is more political than I've been for the past year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      I don't know a lot about Brexit, but based on what I've read I can imagine it must have sparked serious debate over there. I think with situations like that and with Trump it's difficult if not impossible to come up with some kind of compromise that people can live with.
      I hope that the next place I live in will have fewer Trump stickers posted around town, because they make me cringe and grind my teeth. Thank you for your support though! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I give them my shut-the-hell-up smile and turn away. lol I don't have time to listen to people be rude because they think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

    I hope you find another job soon. And in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chrys,
      Thank you! That helps. People who refuse to admit they're wrong drive me nuts, especially when it's someone like Trump. I think even if he got impeached he'd still be convinced that everyone else is wrong.

      Delete
  4. I feel really grateful for being Canadian :-) I always sort of have the same reaction -- glad I don't have to deal with ignorant people most of the time, and tense because I wonder if I ever did, would I be able to talk legibly and sensibly, and not just beat them over the head with Encyclopedia Britannica and try to get them to see sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      Hahaha! I'll take Justin Trudeau over Donald Trump any day; I think many, many Americans would agree. Politics can often stir up tensions between people because it's hard to come to a compromise about it.

      Delete
  5. I just get frustrated with people who won't stop. I mean, the election is over. You notice there weren't any "demonstrations" or riots to protest the last president, and it wasn't because people were happy about the election results. I knew many who faced the results and swallowed down the hard lump with dignity. So here's my deal: GET OVER IT PEOPLE. You don't have to love the current administration. If that's the case, vote them out in 4 years, but stop whining and freaking out about every teeny tiny little thing. Where has the consideration between parties and people in general gone? (So yes, I'm with you on the intolerance issues for different races, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal,
      I know, right? I was angry over the election too, but doing things like boycotting his family's businesses or making "Not My President" trend on Twitter won't remove him from office. I think it's better to do what people like Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are doing: they're continuing to fight and resist against things that they feel are unfair, thus standing up to Trump in a way that he may not have anticipated.

      Delete