Sunday, July 26, 2015

A Difficult Dilemma

I finally found a job, though it's not at the local school that I was hoping for. I'm going to teach full-time at a school in Small Town, Tennessee. Based on the online research I've done so far, the town is a lot like my Midwestern hometown, which I spent eighteen years wanting to escape from.

I wanted to stay in Chicago for at least one more year and teach at one of the local colleges. I also planned to spend more time on my academic research and try to get at least one article published and make one presentation at an academic conference.

But recently a school down South called and offered me a job that I had applied for a while ago. I applied to teach at schools all over the country and was rejected by most of them. Apparently, hundreds of positive evaluations from my students and several years of teaching experience do not matter nearly as much as published articles that might as well be titled "How to Make Yourself Sound Like a Pompous Know-It-All in 500 Words Or Less." But I digress.

I had to make a decision about the job right away, because the fall term is starting next month. I wanted to hold out for the local school, but they couldn't give me an answer yet. So what was I supposed to do: accept a job in an unfamiliar town halfway across the country or hold out for a job that I wanted but might not even get?

My professors were unanimous in their advice. "Go to Tennessee," they said. "It's time for you to move on. Teaching there for a year or two will show other schools that you have experience teaching at urban schools and rural ones and that you're willing to move. This will make it easier for you to get another job."

My parents, of course, were thrilled. They've been pressuring me to leave Chicago for years. They know that I love it here, but that doesn't matter because it's not the place that they want me to live in. Small Town, Tennessee is within driving distance of their home (though not in the same state), which means that they can see me more often. One phone call from them is enough to stress me out for the rest of the day, so I'm not happy at the prospect of moving closer to them.

They've also informed me that they will come with me to Small Town to "help" me move, which means dictating what kind of car I should get, what kind of furniture I should buy (even though I'm paying for this), which stores I should go to, etc., etc. I told them that I can handle it myself, but they're coming anyway. But I will NOT let them control all (or ANY) of the decisions I make.

I took a walk down Michigan Avenue recently. There was a guy marching up and down the sidewalk carrying a sign that said, "REPENT SINNERS" and yelling that everyone was going to hell. I nearly bumped into someone playing a ukulele and singing "Paparazzi" by Lady Gaga. Another guy looked at my chest and said, "Hi, boobies."

Sirens blared, horns honked, and people called out to each other across the street in several different languages. I looked at everything and thought, This is home. This is the one place in the world that I've always loved. This is where I want to be. 

But I don't have a choice. I owe thousands of dollars in student loans. I only have enough money to pay my rent through August. I knew that I would have to leave Chicago eventually, because with a Ph.D. in English, I have to go where the work is. I just didn't think I would have to leave so soon.

What about you? Have you ever made a difficult choice regarding your employment? Have you ever made a cross-country move?

Side note: I might not be able to respond to everyone's comments until later this week, due to issues with moving, but I promise I'll respond!

12 comments:

  1. Unfortunately this is uncharted territory for me. I couldn't think of living somewhere my family aren't, as they are also my best friends. Sad, I know. Moving to Tennessee might be a nice adventure, if you are into adventure, of course. If not, you have to do what feels right for you. What choice will make you happiest? If you stay in Chicago, you might have to do other jobs that are not related to teaching, but you will be where you want to be. Okay, I think I'm making it worse. All the best with making your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Murees,
      It's not sad to be close to your family; that's actually ideal! Thank you for your advice, and you didn't make it worse; you actually brought up stuff that I considered, like working non-academic jobs. Ultimately, I decided to take the job. It's an untenured position, which means that I don't have to stay there permanently if I don't like it.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've moved to places I didn't enjoy and one place that took me four years to adjust to. But there were other reasons for me being there and it turned out being a very positive move for our family though at the time none of us thought so. I agree with your professors. You spent all this time and effort getting your degree, the next step is actual work experience. It may surprise you and turn out better than you expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thank you for the advice. I hope that this will be the right move; at the very least I can put something else on my resume. I do have a lot of work experience, actually; I've taught at several schools around Chicago. This will be my first time teaching at a school in a small town, though.

      Delete
  3. I think this will be a great opportunity for you. You never know what will happen if you take a chance. It may be hard to adjust at first, but this experience will benefit not only your career but your life. I know it! :)

    I have never moved cross country. I have dreamed about leaving my state but won't be doing that for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrys,
      I always hoped that when I made a cross country move it'd be to someplace like California or New York. But maybe teaching at this new school will help me get a job in one of those places.
      I think it will be a difficult adjustment, like you said, especially since I've lived in Chicago for so long. But hopefully I will like the town eventually.

      Delete
  4. Having only taught in big city schools myself, I think going the other way will be invaluable for you. And I'm so curious to see what your experience is like there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charly,
      Oh, I'll definitely be blogging about my experiences at the rural school, especially because I have a feeling it'll be very different from the urban schools I've taught at. So at the very least this move will give me some good writing material.

      Delete
  5. Change is hard, but it's always good. It keeps us moving and growing. We had an especially hard move when I was 8 months prego and leaving ALL my family to live in a closet in NYC. I don't regret that move at all, but it constituted the hardest 1.5 years of my life, also the time period I grew the very most. Wishing you only awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal,
      I've heard that NYC apartments are really small; I also heard that was why New Yorkers spent so much time outside. I think you're right about how this will help me grow; it's just been difficult for me to accept because I don't like change. But maybe this change will be for the better.

      Delete
  6. Huge congrats on the job! Sorry I missed this news (I stopped by to read your latest post and had to back up to read this one!)

    Moving is hard, especially when you're leaving a place you like, but I think your professors are correct - it shows flexibility to your next employers. And you never know, you might really enjoy it.

    I hope your parents don't take over too much - but maybe that's the topic of the next post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      Thank you! My parents are coming to Tennessee to "help" me move, even though I'm doing all of the work. Since they're loaning me money for the down payment on a car, they're taking over the whole car buying process, right down to what kind of car I should get and where I should buy it, sighhh...

      Delete