Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stuff Chicagoans Say

I found these videos on Youtube after reading an article about them, and I just had to share them with all of you. I love both of them, especially the part where the girl says, "Just take LSD to get there" (LSD = Lakeshore Drive), and the parts where the people are singing jingles from those annoying commercials for Empire Carpet and Luna. Those commercials bug me almost as much as that Binder & Binder commercial with that guy who always creeps me out, the one where he puts on a cowboy hat and says, "We'll deal with the government. You have enough to worry about." (Why the cowboy hat? Is that supposed to be reassuring? Or is he about to gallop away on a horse and fight the bad guys in a 1950s western movie?)

And I have to say that the people in the video are really not exaggerating the way Chicagoans speak or act. As they say, forty degrees is NOT cold; that's barbecue weather in Chicago! And as far as where the best pizza is made? Giordanos, of course!

But I've never made snow angels in the city. For one thing, the snow's usually too dirty from the mud splashed on it by passing cars as well as hundreds of footprints from people walking over it. I'm also too afraid that I'll either drown in the enormous piles of snow or get trampled by impatient commuters on their way to the train or tourists on their way to Michigan Avenue.

Both videos reminded me of how much Chicago has become home to me since I moved here several years ago, and how I've said several of the things that are said in both videos on more than one occasion. (Except for the stuff about sports, since I like football about as much as Hugh Hefner likes monogamy.)

I do try to remember how much I love Chicago on the days when I am stuck waiting for the El that's twenty minutes late in arriving, only for it to break down after I've only been on it for five minutes. And then I have to take a bus that also happens to be at least twenty minutes late and I end up crammed into a bus with a bunch of angry commuters who look like they're ready to whap someone in the face with their copies of the Red Eye just so they can sit down, while other commuters at the next bus stop see how crowded the bus is and believe that the only rational thing to do is to make the bus even more crowded by squeezing themselves in.

I also try to remember that Chicago really is a great city to live in, despite the days when I see rats scampering along the tracks when I'm waiting for the subway. I have this slightly irrational fear that they'll somehow find their way onto the platform and attack all the commuters before they take over the city and threaten to bite anyone who says, "Da Bears." I remind myself that I am lucky to live here, even when I'm walking down the street and see trash scattered all over the place by people too lazy to just walk less than half a dozen steps to the trash cans that are on practically every corner. It's also important to remind myself of why I haven't yet left the city for a place that doesn't annoy the hell out of me on a regular basis (but really, seeing as how I am completely neurotic, I don't think that place actually exists) on days when it's so windy that it looks like everyone's moving in slow motion, because they actually are. But I digress.

But on the other hand, I chose to move to this beautiful city, and I choose to stay here (at least for now), even though it drives me crazy to be a Chicagoan half the time. I would like to live somewhere else someday, maybe another city like New York or Boston, or maybe a quiet college town halfway across the country. I've also always had this fantasy of living in Europe someday, like one of the American expatriate writers. But for now, I live here because this city really is home to me, and it's hard to imagine what the past several years would have been like or who I would be if I had lived somewhere else.

(Side note: I don't usually swear on this blog, so I should warn you that there are some curse words in one of the videos, though you might have guessed that from the titles of the videos.)





Here's the Facebook page I found on the Youtube page of the first video: www.facebook.com/obramusic.

For more info about the people in the second video, check out their links below; I got the links from their Youtube page.

Robert Bacon - https://twitter.com/#!/tastethebacon
Marie Maloney - https://twitter.com/#!/marie_maloney
Tess Borgerding - http://ioimprov.com/chicago/performers/tess-borgerding

I've noticed that there's been a bit of a stir online over the fact that the second video focuses more on the North Side; I don't see what the big deal is, because the North Side is part of Chicago after all, and it's not like they're saying that the North Side is all there is in the city, which it obviously isn't. But then again, a lot of Chicagoans can be very territorial when it comes to their neighborhoods, no matter which side of the city they live on. 

What kinds of stuff do people say where you live? What kinds of beliefs do outsiders have about your hometown that aren't actually accurate? Why do you choose to stay there? Have you ever thought about living anywhere else?

Happy Groundhog Day, everyone! Only six more weeks of winter! (Except in Chicago, winter's going to feel like it lasts a lot longer, like it does every year! But hey, what are you gonna do? It's not like this is L.A.)

18 comments:

  1. I live in the UK, and even London isn't as big or interesting as Chicago!

    I do have several friends who live in Chicago though, and so while most of this post went over my head a little, I smiled at the mention of Giordanos, because I have actually heard my friends talk about it many times! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyra,
      I've never been to London, but it definitely sounds interesting from what I've read and heard about it. I'd like to go there someday, and (this is going to sound really touristy of me) eat fish and chips like the English people in novels I've read always do. And Giordanos does have great pizza, because they stuff it with so much cheese and sauce and it tastes soooo good.

      Delete
  2. Ha! My favorite is shit girls say. The best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      Have you heard of that Twitter page by that guy who posts stuff that he hears his female neighbors say? I can't remember what it's called, but I read some of the Tweets once and they were really funny.

      Delete
  3. Glad you have a tribute to Chicago. I know you've gotten down on it lately and wondered where your original awe went.

    There was a show that only lasted a few episodes a few years ago. In it, the two people somehow got stuck in the house during the 1st snow of the year in Manhattan. Maybe they were sick. By the time they got out, the streets were filthy, but they made snow angels with the glee of a child in fresh snow. It made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      I'm glad to have watched the videos now, especially because I've been going through some difficult stuff lately and I needed a good laugh. I think I missed my original awe of the city partly because I haven't had much of a chance to enjoy it lately; I've been too busy and broke to go anywhere.
      Those people in that show must have been really happy to be outside. I actually miss making snow angels. I haven't made one since I was a kid.

      Delete
  4. Having seen the Chicago video and the Perth, Australia one in the same day, I'm starting to think these are fun ways to be introduced to a city. Now I have to see if there's a Montreal video...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      They should make one for every city. It could even be a funny way to attract tourists. I haven't seen the Australia one yet, so I'll have to check that one out.

      Delete
  5. Lou Malnattis is better than Giordanos.

    I think you would like New York more than Chicago. It's more fun to hate than Chicago is. And there's more to love.

    Everything everyone thinks about New York is true. Except that people are bitchy. That's not true at all. It's kind of annoying that everyone and their mom thinks they know New York. Because what they know is true, but there is also so, so much more to the city than all that.

    Now that I live in a TOTALLY different city (Abu Dhabi) I.... can't even begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mmarinaa,
      Noooo! Giordanos is the best! I'm getting hungry just thinking of their pizza, even though I'm technically eating breakfast right now. (Mmm, pizza for breakfast - that would be good.) I think I would like New York. I've never been there, but I've heard it's more metropolitan than Chicago is. I've always thought of Chicago as less metropolitan because it's a city made up of neighborhoods, meaning that each neighborhood often seems to be its own little town in itself.

      Delete
  6. Y'all still have BYOB places???

    Also, I was about to write this sad-face post about how Houstonians would never have a video like this bc we're a self-hating city, but OH WAIT, I found one, and LOL'd within 30 seconds—"The beach at Galveston isn't that bad as long as you don't go in the water." I have totally said that.

    Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU9dWjeVTdo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      We do still have BYOB, though that never applies to me, seeing as how I don't drink alcohol. If they didn't serve soda (which, fortunately, most places do), it'd be more like BYOC, as in Bring Your Own Coke. And thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out. I think these stuff people say videos are so funny!

      Delete
    2. I know the feeling. I love DC but sometimes things feel hectic here, like when I almost get run off the road - happens once a week. :) Chicago is awesome though. Only been there once but loved it!

      Delete
    3. Hi Libby,
      One of the things I miss about living in a small town is that things were never hectic there; a lot of the drivers liked to drive about 15 miles per hour, so I never had to worry about getting hit by anyone's car. On the other hand, that could be annoying if I was stuck driving behind one of them.
      And you should come visit Chicago again; if you do, let me know! :)

      Delete
  7. I think with any big city, there's a love-hate relationship. I detest the Tube and a few other aspects of London, too! But overall, on balance, it's a great city, and I'm happy I made it my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      When I first moved to Chicago, I loved everything about it; on the other hand, I was still a tourist in a sense because everything was new to me. I think I started disliking certain things partly because I'd gotten used to the city, so I started seeing it for what it really was. I'm curious about what the Tube is like in London, if it's anything like the El in Chicago.

      Delete
  8. Just wanted to say thank you for getting it right: Giodano's is the best! Now I'm hungry.

    I think the first video may have been a little more South side focused and the second was North side, so it balances out.

    I thought the second video was more accurate than the first, but I'm a Northsider so that might be part of why.

    I'm thinking of making a video that's like the opposite: how you can tell someone is from out of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red Wolf,
      I wrote a post about the kinds of things that tourists say, because the out-of-towners are good sources of inspiration. In your video you could include people carrying bags from stores on Michigan Avenue or people wearing Cubs or White Sox shirts.

      Delete