Monday, August 18, 2014

Neurotic Workaholic Takes a Vacation

It's Sunday night. By this time tomorrow I'll be in New York City, on the first vacation that I've ever taken on my own.

I'm excited about seeing New York for the first time. I've only ever seen glimpses of it in movies like When Harry Met Sally and TV shows like Law and Order and Sex and the City. And I've read about it in books, of course. So I'm curious to see what the "real" New York is like.

I bought a New York guidebook with fold-out maps for each neighborhood. I made a list in my journal of the places I'd like to visit and the things I'd like to do. I want to eat a hot dog in Central Park, and I want to eat ice cream in the Serendipity cafe. My hotel is in Chinatown, where I'm going to have dim sum. I already bought a ticket online to visit the Empire State Building. I tried to buy a ticket to the Statue of Liberty, but those tickets sold out very quickly. I also bought an inexpensive ticket to see one of my favorite actresses, Julia Stiles, perform in a play called Phoenix.

My flight arrives in New York on Monday afternoon. I go back to Chicago on Friday. I'll drop off my things at my hotel and immediately go back out and walk around Chinatown. Then I'll go to Times Square so that I can see it all lit up at night. I plan to wake up early every day and explore as many neighborhoods as I can. And of course, I'll be careful; all these years in Chicago taught me how to play it safe.

The thing I'm most nervous about, though, is actually letting myself relax on vacation. Like I said, I've never taken a vacation on my own before, though I always wanted to travel. I spent the last decade working two or three jobs at the same time and the majority of that decade in grad school. Relaxing was not an option for me. I couldn't even watch a TV show without doing something productive at the same time, like folding laundry, dusting furniture, or responding to students' e-mails.

I almost cancelled my trip to New York because I kept thinking of all the things I have to do right now. I'm supposed to be revising chapters of my dissertation. I'm going on the job market this year, and several of my professors were kind enough to agree to write recommendation letters for me. But they want me to show them my application letter, a chapter from my dissertation, and a summary of the dissertation as a whole, as well as my curriculum vitae. I have to send them all that stuff very soon, which means that this week in New York will put me about a week behind in my work.

But for once in my life, I'm going to put my work on the back burner. I put work first for so many years, and I turned into a neurotic workaholic as a result. Maybe this week, I'll actually be able to sleep without thinking of all the things I didn't get done that day or that I need to do the next day.

Relaxing isn't difficult for a lot of people, but it is for me because it felt like I wasn't allowed to relax for so long. When I worked in retail, the managers would get mad at us if they saw us stand around and do nothing for more than a minute at a time (though the managers felt free to stand around and chat with each other or their friends for as long as they wanted). So I grew accustomed to a steady work pace and rarely slowed down.

It made me edgy when I wasn't doing anything. I never even liked sleeping late, because it felt like I was wasting time on sleep that I could spend on my work.

This vacation won't change me from a neurotic workaholic into a laid-back slacker, and I wouldn't want it to anyway. But for this week at least, it'll be a relief to NOT be a neurotic workaholic.

What about you? Is it difficult for you to take time off or to relax? Do you feel guilty when you take a vacation? If so, how do you deal with it?


Side note: I'm not bringing my laptop to New York, so if you leave a comment on my blog this week I won't be able to answer it until I get back this upcoming weekend. But I will answer it; I promise. And I'll comment on your blogs when I get back too.

10 comments:

  1. Have fun! It's probably my favorite place on earth...Are you going to the Empire State Building at night? It's fantastic to see all of the lights. Oh! And be sure to hang out by the stage door after the play so you can meet the actors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,
      Thanks! I went to the Empire State Building in the morning, because the lines were shorter, though it was pretty crowded up there. And thanks for the suggestion about the play! I did hang out by the stage door and got Julia Stiles' autograph!

      Delete
  2. (I don't know if my last comment posted or not, so I'm retyping it.... sorry if it's a repeat.)

    This sounds like it will be so good for you! Hurrah! Hope that it was an absolutely amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mmarinaa,
      I didn't see the other comment; I'm not sure what happened. And it was an amazing time! It felt so good to be in an interesting city and escape my work, if only for a few days.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful vacation for a neurotic workaholic! The excitement and fast pace of NYC should suit you just fine. Have a wonderful time! I'm jealous. I love New York and haven't been for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I now love New York too, and I want to go back sometime soon. Maybe for my next vacation...I loved that there were so many things to do; I was busy sightseeing and walking around every day.

      Delete
  4. NYC is fantastic! I hope you're able to enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      I did enjoy it! It wasn't as hard to relax there as I thought it would.

      Delete
  5. I lived in NYC for almost ten years...one of my favorite places in the world. Enjoy and think of your trip as grist for the writing mill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,
      You're so lucky that you got to live there. I want to live there too someday. I wish I could have stayed there longer, because there were so many things I wanted to do.

      Delete