Monday, August 5, 2013

Savoring Summer

When I was younger, I liked those back to school commercials that advertised school supplies. I loved picking out brand new notebooks and pens for the classes I was going to take. But now that I'm a teacher, I don't feel that same sense of excitement when I see those commercials.

Don't get me wrong. I love teaching. Being in the classroom and interacting with the students are the best parts of teaching. Sometimes, students come up to me and tell me they loved one of the authors we studied so much that they started reading other books by that author on their own. That makes me feel like I just found out that I am the sole heir to the Coca-Cola Company. When I see the improvement in their writing over the course of the term, I get a great sense of satisfaction in knowing that they've learned something from me. When students get excited about what they're writing, it makes me feel happy and proud.

But on the other hand, I can't help dreading the prospect of grading dozens of papers on the same topic. I think of the students who not only complain about their grades but demand that I change them. I feel angry when I think of their parents, who send me nasty e-mails, ordering me to change their children's grades or not penalize them for being absent several weeks in a row (yes, this has happened several times. It bothers me that they want to be treated like adults but then run to their parents to fix their problems for them.).

One of these days I'm going to invent a device that will make all the students' cell phones automatically shut down as soon as they enter my classroom, so that they'll never text in my class again. (Of course, the students will react by shrieking, "I've just lost the love of my life! What am I going to DO?") I get stressed out when I think of all the excuses I'm going to hear from students who miss class again and again and again but still expect (or demand) A's.

I also think of my dissertation committee rejecting or tearing apart the chapter I've been working on. I've done so much writing and research that sometimes when I read fellow bloggers' posts, I automatically think, Wait. Where are all the footnotes? I'm afraid that my committee will tell me that what I've written is still not good enough and that I'm not smart enough to be in grad school.

Even though I have been studying and working all summer, for the first time in a long time I've given myself a chance to enjoy myself as well. (I was going to say that I've given myself a chance to "relax", but it's about as difficult for me to relax as it is for one of those "Bachelors" or "Bachelorettes" to keep a straight face when they claim that the only reason they're on TV is to find "true love".)

For example, a couple weeks ago I went to the Chinatown summer festival. It felt so good to be outside on a beautiful day. I ate delicious egg rolls, fried rice, and almond cookies. I even bought a couple souvenirs, including a pretty beaded bracelet that only cost three dollars and a small painting that unfolded like a scroll (it only cost $2.99!) to hang in my apartment. I saw people doing Tai Chi, and I watched the Lion Dance.

There was also a Chinese woman who was holding several sticks of incense, and she gave me one as I passed by. I couldn't understand what she said, but I saw other sticks of incense that had been placed in a container of sand in front of a small statue of Buddha. So I put the stick that she gave me in the sand. I also saw a small donation box, so I dropped some spare change in it. She and some other Chinese ladies thanked me and gave me a piece of cake. It wasn't until I walked away that I realized that even though I'm Catholic, I may have just made an offering to Buddha and a Buddhist temple.

In addition to the Chinatown summer festival, I also went to the Taste of Chicago in Grant Park, where restaurant vendors from all over the city set up stands and sold great food. I read several chick lit novels, and it was a relief to read stuff that wasn't written by people who think that using words that are only used in spelling bees makes them sound smarter. I went to movies with friends. I took walks around my neighborhood, and I wrote down in my journal all the funny, weird, and interesting things that I saw and heard. I also plan to visit the Art Institute on one of their free admission days; either that or I'd like to go to one of the movies featured in the Grant Park Film Festival (you can bring a beach towel to Grant Park and watch a movie for free on a large screen). I'm also interested in watching a free show that I heard about where a dance company is going to perform.

During the school year I'm always working. But during the summer I feel like I have more freedom to do other things that I want to do, and it feels good. I just wish that it didn't have to end, but it won't be long before school starts again.

I really need to work on that anti-cell phone device. I plan to use it on the people who talk on their phones in the movie theaters too, and then I'll point and laugh maniacally when they start freaking out.

What about you? What have been the best parts of your summer? When you were a student, did you look forward to going back to school? If you're a teacher, how do you feel about summer vacation?

22 comments:

  1. Umm the best part of summer is sleeping past 8 am. Shoot my first class starting the 19 is at 8 am yuck. But I've been working on some short stories of my own this summer. Regarding your cell phone kill switch idea would be welcomed at the college I attend as well. One English teacher alone has had to tell college kids to shut the phones off when class started. They were forever texting and surfing. ( In all honesty I had to shut mine off once, but it was in my purse - I had forgotten to shut it off the night before, luckily she didn't hear it and I was able to shut it off without calling attention to it). But that was it. I didn't even bring it to class after that.

    But seriously if you design such a product market it,,lol it will be widely sought after.

    Good luck with your new year.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      I don't like early morning classes either; I've taught many morning classes and it was difficult to get out of bed when it was still dark outside. I seriously wish I knew how to create a device like that; that would make me a millionaire, and the teachers would the first in line to buy it.

      Delete
  2. Summer is for me a complete lack of structure, which I love, but around this time reason always sets in and I realize even I need a schedule to keep me in line.
    www.melanieschulz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      It was difficult for me to buckle down and work on my dissertation until I set up a study schedule for myself. Otherwise I'd be getting ready to go to sleep and realize I didn't get any studying done.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been doing exactly what summer was designed for...refreshing and recharging. I always get a little sad when I see the back to school ads because I feel like our lazy summers (or not so lazy as the case has been) are my favorite times spent with my children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,
      I'm sure that your children love summer and spending time with you too; they always look so happy in the pictures you post on your blog.
      I wish that summer lasted longer; it always feels like it ends too quickly.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you're having a wonderful summer! What fun experiences to have and share with us. :) School is coming, but until then, enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      This summer has definitely been better than the summer I worked at the Tourist Trap; for one thing, I haven't had to work as much. Even though I'll always be a workaholic, even I need time to have fun.

      Delete
  5. Wait, are you implying that people do not go on TV to find True Love? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,
      I've noticed that several of the people on those shows try to extend their fifteen minutes of fame for as long as possible. They try to get acting jobs, hosting gigs, and they end up on Bachelor spinoffs. So I think what a lot of them are really on the show for is their true love of fame.

      Delete
  6. Yes! I felt exactly the same way when I was a teacher. Those connections with students -- when they really seem to get something, or when a discussion goes well and everyone is interacting and there are sparks every where -- those times are unbeatable. But the rest? It really got me down sometimes.

    May this year bring tons more highs to you than lows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caryn,
      It's great when everyone interacts during a class discussion, like you said. It's tough when the teacher is the only one talking and everyone is just sitting there, refusing to say anything and staring at their cell phones. Every once in a while, a student will write on his/her evaluation that the class wasn't interesting enough. But the class would be a lot more interesting if all the students made an effort to participate.

      Delete
  7. There was always something fun about getting brand new school supplies. :)

    So, you teach college students, yes? And their mommies and daddies still come running to their rescue?!? That is so beyond disturbing.

    That's so great you took advantage of the city this summer. The Chinatown fest sounds amazing! I know you'll be much more busy once school starts, but you should make it a point to allow yourself a mini-adventure at least a couple times a month. The breaks will help you be more productive when you get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      Yup, I teach college students. And yes, there are a few whose parents have sent me really nasty e-mails, even though the ones they should really be upset with are their children for not doing the bare minimum in my classes. They think that because they pay tuition that that makes them my boss (one student actually told me that). They could not be more wrong.
      I like going to Chinatown. I wish I could go there more often. I think I might go there again soon; I saw some nice hair salons there and I kind of want to try one of them. And it'll give me an excuse to get more Chinese food.
      You're right that I need mini-adventures. When all I do is work, I get really cranky and stressed.

      Delete
  8. Having a catholic family, I can see the appeal of Buddha - he's always so happy, when ours is well known for his grumpy tantrums (I mean really, who throws frogs????).

    One of my favourite foods is those pork buns, it's like heaven in a cloud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charmaine,
      I don't think I've ever had a pork bun before, but it sounds good. I also really like beef chow fun.
      I don't know a lot about Buddhism, but Natalie Goldberg is always talking about Zen in her books on writing. I think it sounds interesting, though I don't think I could sit there and meditate for that long. I'd just spend the whole time thinking about work.

      Delete
  9. Summer vacation is the best. I've been hanging out with a lot of other people who have long breaks. But occasionally I can align my time with someone who works every day, all year round. And I just do not understand how they can survive without getting a break from the monotony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mmarinaa,
      I am glad that I get to have a longer break during the summer, even though technically I am still working. I do think that people should get more than two or three weeks of vacation a year, and I know a lot of people who don't take any vacation time. I heard that in Europe they get at least a month off, which I think is a great idea.

      Delete
  10. How wow, it sounds like you've been doing such cool stuff. Love the movie outdoors thing. Our little local park does that every Wednesday night. A lot of kids from the schools come, so my sons get to see their friends. You deserve the R & R time! Enjoy it.

    Thankfully my sons don't start school until the Tuesday after Labor Day. Our little town is "old school" that way (which we love). So yesterday, while my boys and I were out shopping, we averted our eyes when we saw backpacks and pencils for sale. We don't want summer to end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I always liked watching movies in Grant Park, except when I'd be sitting on my beach towel and some people with giant folding chairs parked themselves in front of me. It was worse than being in a movie theater and sitting behind someone with a really big head. The one in your park sounds like fun; I wish they had had that in my hometown.
      I haven't bought any school supplies yet, though school doesn't start for a while. I wish I had the power to stop time, at least for a little while.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you got to do a couple of things just for you. Sounds like the festival was nice--don't worry, I think you can be Buddhist and be anything because he's not really worshipped like a deity.

    I'm amazed that parents contact professors now. I'd be angry. I can't imagine my parents doing that. I don't think they ever would've questioned one of my teacher's decisions in high school. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      The neighborhood festivals are my favorite part of summer in Chicago. It's a nice break after spending hours at my desk every day.
      It really bothers me when parents demand that I be more lenient towards their children. I know that they think they're just looking out for them, but what they're doing isn't helping them. They're making the children think that they don't have to take responsibility for their own mistakes and that it's okay to blame other people, including teachers, instead. And that's just wrong.

      Delete