Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Happily Ever After...Or Not

Fellow blogger Talli Roland (who also happens to be a great novelist, which is why you should buy her books) recently wrote a post about happy endings, and how romantic comedies usually have happy endings. She's right. This is particularly true of chick lit, where the main character usually a) ends up with Mr. Right; b) realizes that the Unsuitable Suitor isn't so Unsuitable after all and dumps Mr. Safe-But-Boring for him; c) realizes that the Unsuitable Suitor really is a tool and that Mr. Safe-But-Boring isn't so boring after all; or d) thinks to herself, I don't need a man to be happy. I just need my friends and Ben and Jerry. 

I recently read a chick lit book that I HATED. I bought two books by this author because one of my favorite authors highly recommended this person. Then again, many people highly recommend getting face tattoos and multiple piercings in places that really shouldn't be pierced (because really, who's going to look there unless you take all your clothes off? And you really shouldn't do THAT in public.).

I didn't like the first novel that I bought by this author, mainly because all the characters loved each other. There was almost no conflict in the story, because everyone easily forgave each other. I know that chick lit books aren't always realistic, but COME ON. In real life, most people don't easily forgive each other every time. They yell at each other, cry, and pull each other's hair (or is it just me who does the last one?).

But I bought the second book by this author because I thought that maybe I should give this person's writing another chance. It's kind of like going to a restaurant a second time even though you got food poisoning the last time you ate there.

But this book was no better than the last one I read. The characters all loved each other and easily forgave each other, like the last book. Even worse, the main character's love interest was perfect...too perfect. He had absolutely no flaws. Unless she fell in love with a Stepford Boyfriend, it was hard to believe. I liked the Unsuitable Suitor in this book better, because he was demanding, self-centered, immature...and real.

Granted, I wouldn't necessarily want to date a guy who is like that. But no guy is perfect (and based on the guys that I've dated, I KNOW that for a fact). And I think that people's flaws are what make their relationships interesting. I think that loving someone in spite of his or her flaws and accepting him or her for who they are is a sign that you truly are in love. Not to mention the guy and the main character kept declaring their love for each other (I lost count after the hundredth time, and I'm not exaggerating), and I know that even people in love don't do that ALL The time. It made me want to watch an episode of one of the Real Housewives shows, where none of the people say loving things to each other, except maybe when they're admiring themselves in the mirror.

I recently read Happily Ever After by Harriet Evans, and I found myself sighing with relief as I read it. The main character's love interest was flawed in many ways, but he was likable in other ways as well. I found myself becoming  invested in the characters' lives, and I kept thinking about the story even when I wasn't reading it. When I was waiting for the train yesterday, I thought, Oh, I hope she makes the right decision about that guy, as if the main character was a real person. And in a way, the characters had become real to me, because the story was that engaging. And as a reader, reading a good book like that is my idea of a happy ending.

We all have our own definitions of what a happy ending would be. In the stories I write, I do want my characters to have happy endings, as long as they all make mistakes and bad decisions and drive people crazy with their flaws first, because that's what makes them (and their stories) real.

I also have my own idea of what I'd like my happy ending to be. In fact, I have several ideas. One includes myself as a successful writer, who earns enough money that I don't have to work a day job (actually, in my case, it's day jobs) anymore so that I can write full-time. Another includes myself as a respected professor, where I get to teach students who would rather read fine literature than text messages. And another happy ending includes Ryan Gosling in a tank top, but I won't go into too much detail on that one.

What about you? Do you prefer stories with happy endings? Do you like to write happy endings for your stories? What's your idea of a happy ending?

21 comments:

  1. I like a lot of drama so my characters are deeply flawed and endings aren't always happy, but hopefully satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna,
      Satisfying endings are definitely important. I've read books where the endings made me think, "That's it?" The endings left me wanting more, but not in a good way.

      Delete
  2. I don't necessarily need a happy ending, but I do like a hopeful one.

    I really like what you say here about accepting someone with their flaws being a sign that you're truly in love. One of my favorite lines ever in a Rom Com is this:

    "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      Hopeful endings are good because even if the characters don't get everything they want by the end of the story, at least you know that good things can still happen to them.
      I love that quote from When Harry Met Sally, and I love that movie. I think that there are some people whose flaws do nothing but annoy us. But there are other people whose flaws are outweighed by their positive traits or whose flaws are the reasons we love them, like you said.

      Delete
  3. I think we have the same life goals. Husband isn't right for everyone, but he's right for me—and that's what I like about successfully written chick lit. The love interest needs to be right for the heroine, but that doesn't always mean that s/he's the epitome of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      I like what you said about your husband, because that sounds just right and how it should be. I like chick lit heroines and heroes that I can relate to; it's impossible to relate to a perfect person, because no one in real life is like that.

      Delete
  4. I love reading and writing ambiguous endings. I like to imagine what happens next. I'll read, and feel fuzzy from, happy endings, but I think I'd get fed up if that's all I ever read. The happiest ending I think I ever wrote, the MC died (it was a short story, it would make sense if you read it, honest!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annalisa,
      I've read books that had ambiguous endings, sad endings, and open-ended ones, and they were pretty good too. The only kind of ending I don't like is when it doesn't turn out the way I want it to for the characters, like if one of them goes back to an ex that didn't treat him/her so well or if the bad guy doesn't get caught. I guess I like happy endings because it's nice to believe in them, even if they don't always happen in real life.

      Delete
  5. I love happy endings! If a book isn't hopeful, I feel like I've wasted my time. However, the ending can be hopeful without people saying "I do." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      I've read chick lit novels where the female protagonist didn't end up with any guy, but it was still a happy ending; like you said, as long as it's a hopeful ending, that's what counts. I also think that a happy ending is based on what the writer wants or what is important to him or her. For me, a happy ending in a chick lit novel that I write would most likely end with the girl finding true love.

      Delete
  6. Happy endings are nice. If I care about a character, I'd like something good to happen. But sometimes it's not right for the story to end perfectly. I think books need to follow certain rules to be successful. The ones we don't like have the kinds of problems you describe.

    I love Talli Roland. And I'm a big fan of her first book. So happy to see her mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      The only thing good about the ending about the novel that I described, the one with the too-perfect guy, was that I was happy when the book ended. It's one thing when the characters have problems; it's something else altogether when the writing has problems.
      Like you, I want good things to happen to the characters I like. It's hard to read a book where the good things happen to the characters who don't deserve them.

      Delete
  7. Not sure about 'happy endings'. As long as the story comes to a satisfactory conclusion that makes sense and answers the original story question that's good enough for me. However a happy ending is fine too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. by the way, I Love your blog and will follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,
      Thanks for following my blog! Satisfying endings are important, especially because dissatisfying endings always make me feel like I've been cheated somehow. Once I get invested in a book and the characters, I hope that certain things will happen; if something that's completely opposite or different from what I thought would happen occurs instead, it kind of ruins the ending for me.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for the kind words and for commenting n my happy endings post! I couldn't agree more - for me, happy endings come about despite character flaws, and they usually involve a little bit of compromise or realisation that everything need not be perfect to find happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Talli,
      You're welcome! And you're right in that happy endings do not have to be perfect. I think that imperfect-but-happy endings make it easier for readers to relate to them, because life generally is imperfect.

      Delete
  10. GREAT post! You know, I used to think a book needed a happy ending for me to be satisfied, but as I've grown a little older, seen a little bit more of the world, and realized that happy endings don't always happen (sadly!), I think that I'm more open to an ambiguous ending where point A doesn't lead to point B, but to point C instead. As long as it's an ending that makes sense for the character/plot and that makes me think a little bit, it doesn't matter to me whether it's happy per se.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      I've read books where the ending didn't seem to make sense, or where it seemed to totally contradict everything that the character stood for and wanted. Those books were always frustrating to read, because they made me wonder why the author chose to end them that way. Surprise endings are one thing, but endings that don't make sense are something else altogether. So you're right in that it's important that endings be right for the character/plot.

      Delete
  11. Eek! This is what I'm afraid of with my own stories sometimes. Sure I throw in arguments and adventure, but am I really adding enough conflict? Are my characters too NICE? Do they have flaws or simply insecurities. Aaaarghhhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      It's difficult for me to come up with a conflict too. My characters aren't always very nice, though. They're usually pretty neurotic, like me.

      Delete