Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to Deal with Rejection

Several bloggers and other people have been buzzing about the fact that Pam van Hylckama Vlieg, a literary agent in California, was attacked by a writer whose query she'd rejected. He reached through her car window and tried to push her into her steering wheel. But one of her dogs bit him, and the police later caught the guy. (Reason #786 why dogs rule: Dogs have your back.)

I felt sorry for that agent, and I couldn't help thinking how foolish and senseless it was of that "writer" to attack her like that. It was a violent crime. Also, what agent in his or her right mind is going to want to work with someone like that in the future?

Every writer gets rejected. I think it's part of being a writer. You learn from all those rejection letters and unanswered submissions. You learn what works in your writing and what doesn't. It shows you what sells and what doesn't. Rejection is not an excuse to hurt anyone.

Here are other possible ways to deal with rejection:

1. Try writing a book about a werewolf and a vampire who fall in love, except they can't be together because one of them is also in love with a teenage wizard whose name rhymes with "Barry" and the other one makes his lovers sign S&M contracts.

2. Try hypnotizing people through Twitter by sending out Tweets like, "You are getting very sleepy. When you open your eyes, you will go out and buy my book. And you will LOVE my book."

3. Bide your time until you do become a successful, published author by practicing your Pulitzer Prize acceptance speech to the cashier in the supermarket checkout line, the teller at the bank, and your dry cleaner. All the people standing in line behind you will probably applaud...just so you'll stop talking. (Or maybe they'll start throwing things.)

4. Work out your aggression on a punching bag, and tape a picture of the cover of a book that you really hate to the front of it.

5. Send out a manuscript to another agent, and then pick the petals off of a flower while saying, "He (or she) loves my manuscript, he loves it not."

6. Listen to inspirational music while you're writing, like the theme song to Rocky, Queen's "We Are the Champions", or Britney Spears' "...Baby One More Time". (What? Am I the only one who finds her music inspirational?)

7. Imitate Scarlett O'Hara by eating turnips in the middle of a field and declaring, "As God is my witness, they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be unpublished again."

8. Name all of your characters after the literary agents that you're sending your work to.

9. Resist the urge to look at books by celebrity "authors" and wail, "Why? WHY?" before running out and buying a bunch of ice cream.

10. Pick up a pen or turn on your computer and keep writing.

What about you? As a writer, how do you handle rejection?

19 comments:

  1. #10 is the best one of all. I hadn't heard about that attack. What a psycho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      That guy who attacked the agent does sound crazy. I can't help wondering what would have happened if the police hadn't caught him. I mean, what if he went after all the other people who rejected him? It sounds like he cares more about getting published than writing, or he is very self-centered and is incapable of understanding why rejection happens to everyone, including him.

      Delete
  2. Ha! How awful. All the critics there should be thanking that agent. If she published him, he'd probably start going after everyone who gave him a negative review...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gia,
      I know, right? I have heard of businesspeople who retaliated against people who gave them negative reviews, though not in terms of violence; usually they just went after them by bashing them online. It's pretty bad what some people will do.

      Delete
  3. I love your list, and laughed out loud while reading it - especially over numbers 1 and 3. I actually think people DO handle rejection by following number 1 - there seems to be a lot of knock-off fiction out there...Expect my novel 'Jerry Copper and the Handcuffs of Dusk' to appear any day now ;)

    But seriously - I handle rejection by crying a little, talking to a friend on the phone, and then getting on with number 10 from your list! No slamming people into steering wheels for me - scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SolariC,
      Thanks! And I love your Jerry Copper title, tee hee hee!
      Rejection is difficult to deal with, especially when it's something that you've invested a lot of time and effort in. But at the very least it's proof that you tried and you put yourself out there. (And a lot of people don't even do that.)

      Delete
  4. I've done #9. :)

    Great list! I feel so bad for Pam. What a nut-job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      It's hard to resist doing #9 sometimes, because I've read some of those books by celebrities, and a lot of them aren't very good. There are some good celebrity writers, like Steve Martin. But most of the others aren't even writers; they just want to be able to say they published a book.
      I feel bad for Pam too. I hope they keep that loser from hurting her again.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Hilarious list! I can honestly say I've never done any of these, but they might be worth a try. I'm especially partial to the punching bag one, because exercise releases endorphins, which should help with the rejection dejection. (SHOULD being the operative word here, since I'm not sure the elliptical machine ever cheered me up...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caryn,
      Thanks! Exercise usually makes me feel better, which is why I often go to the gym after a long day. The elliptical can get kind of boring sometimes, though, but it's okay if there are cute guys working out nearby. :)

      Delete
  6. Your ways of handling rejection sound more fun than mine! I like the flower petal one. It was always how I figured out if a boy liked me back in the day. Why did I stop using it...

    I hadn't heard about the agent being attacked. I've never been that upset about a rejection. I usually cope by just sending out another query. Or red wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Thanks for sharing this on Facebook!
      I heard about the attack on the agent on Nathan Branford's (the former agent) blog, I think, and one or two other blogs. That's pretty scary that someone would attack an agent just for rejecting him.
      I used to do the flower petal thing too. I can't remember when I stopped. I actually used to believe the petal thing was accurate, though. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the option with the heavy drinking. Wait...there wasn't an option with heavy drinking? Oh.
    >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon,
      Sometimes I do drink a lot...of caffeine, that is. That's why I spend so much time writing in coffeehouses. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so the ice-cream-comfort girl. Then I go on to #10. I also change, "Just keep writing" in that same way Dory did in Finding Nemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      Ben and Jerry's is my favorite brand, because it just tastes so good. They should make an ice cream flavor specifically for writers.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      As far as #9 goes, I have had that reaction before. Fortunately, there was an ice cream shop near the bookstore. :)

      Delete