Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Grass Is Always Greener

A few weeks ago, I ran into a classmate that I've always thought of as my Grad School Nemesis. She asked me, "Have you published any articles yet?"

She knew very well that I haven't. In academia, it's very important that you publish articles in academic journals that nobody else but other scholars read. The titles of the articles are stuff like "Daddy Issues in Frankenstein" and "If You Use Enough Academic Jargon, Everyone Will Think You're Smarter than They Are" and "A Marxist (Over) Analysis of the Economic Hierarchy in The Great Gatsby." (Okay. So those aren't the real titles. But they might as well be, if you've ever read the articles.)

I was tempted to respond, "I haven't published any articles yet, but I have learned some very effective moves in my kick-boxing class. Allow me to demonstrate," or "If your head keeps getting bigger, you're going to start scaring people into thinking that you're Godzilla."

Grad School Nemesis went on to brag about the articles that she'd published in academic journals and the prestigious conferences that she'd been to. She knows that I haven't accomplished as much as she has in our field, which I think is one reason why she always makes sure that I know all about how well she's doing.

I've never been a very good scholar. I was always more interested in teaching, partly because it's the one job I've ever had that I'm actually good at. My students drive me up the wall sometimes, but I keep showing up in the classroom every day because that's where I want to be. It makes me think of the movie Tenure. Luke Wilson plays a college professor who is pressured to publish more academic articles and books in order to get tenure, but he's a better teacher than he is a scholar. Watching that movie made me feel better, because it made me feel like I'm not the only person who struggles in academia.

I've been feeling depressed lately because of the fact that it's going to take me an extra year to complete my Ph.D., especially because my graduate funding will run out next year. So it doesn't help when people like my Grad School Nemesis keep bragging about how they're doing better than I am and then make condescending comments about how I've failed to measure up.

It's one thing to feel jealous of people you don't know. I wrote a post a while ago about how I felt jealous of Snooki, because she got a book deal (and now I hear she's got ANOTHER book deal), even though she's not really a writer. She just lets someone else do the writing for her. But it's another thing to feel jealous of people you do know, because it hits close to home. In the back of your mind you keep thinking, "If they can succeed, why can't I?" And that makes it even harder to accept it when you don't get what you want, while they keep getting what they want.

Anne Lamott wrote a very good chapter about jealousy in her book Bird by Bird. She said that it was normal to feel jealous, and it was also okay to not feel happy for the people that you're jealous of. We are only human after all, and everyone has their limits. Reading it made me realize how insensitive people like my Grad School Nemesis are, especially because they know how I've been having a hard time just trying to keep up with everyone else. I might not be able to tape the lips shut of my Grad School Nemesis, but I can limit my interactions with her so that I don't have to listen to her anymore. And that's something, at least.

Are there people in your life who constantly brag about their accomplishments? How do you deal with it when you feel jealous?

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! You highlight one of my frustrations with the academy. I just started my MA in English Studies this year, and some of the journal articles I've read have made me cuss because of the jargon and supreme obfuscation. In fact, in one article, I wrote all my choice expletives in the margins as I read it!

    I want to check out Tenure, btw.

    So, I don't like people like your nemesis, who want to make it appear you come up short somehow in their greatness. I had someone trap me in a conversation about salary who suggested he could never settle for my paycheck. This was all part of his pissing match he hoodwinked me into.

    In any case, please know that your writing here (and your effect as a teacher) is more wide-reaching and helpful to others than the Nemesis' journal articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charles,
      Tenure is a good movie; you should watch it. Conversations about salary can get pretty competitive. It's hard for English teachers, because we usually make a lot less money than people who work in fields like finance or medicine.
      Thanks for the encouragement, though. I do have to publish articles sooner rather than later, but I think I'll always like fiction writing and teaching better.

      Delete
  2. My husband just got a tenure-track job after being on the market (adjunct after adjunct after one-year contract) for four years. I was SO JEALOUS of all our grad school friends who were only on the market for one year and got great jobs. I was happy for them, for sure, but also insanely jealous.

    Before I left academia, I had a roommate who sounds an awful lot like your nemesis. She was uber-professionalized and always bragging about publishing and conferences, but she was just as insecure as I was, it turns out.

    Good luck! Don't compare yourself to others (so hard!) and know that you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NGS,
      Thanks! The academic job search can take a very long time; a lot of the people I know didn't find anything for the first two or three years of their job search. It's hard because we kind of have to go wherever the work is, unlike other people who can choose where they want to work and live.
      That makes sense that some people who brag a lot are actually insecure, because maybe they're trying to prove something to everyone else, as well as themselves. I think that my Grad School Nemesis is totally full of herself, though.

      Delete
  3. Your words about academic articles are SPOT ON!!! That is one big reason I have NO desire to ever do a PhD in English/Lit. I couldn't handle the academic-ese BS. :/ I'm not a scholar--I'm a creative writer and a teacher, and that's fine with me. I just wish some people (cough, my dad, cough) would understand that (he's obsessed with me getting a PhD but I don't want to for several reasons that I won't go into right now because this comment is already long enough lol).

    Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      I think it's perfectly fine to not want to do a PhD, because it's such a huge commitment. If you do make the commitment, it has to be because it's what you really want. And I think it's more than enough to be a creative writer and a teacher, because those are two very good things to be.

      Delete
  4. Perfect timing. I have been polishing an article for the last 8 months (still incomplete) and working on another. I completely abandoned one project after a year of research, writing, and revision because I kept getting negative responses when I showed it to people. It's incredibly frustrating and demoralizing, and yet I feel that if I don't submit something this summer, I will be a failure. Just another instance of failure, I suppose, because I feel that way more often than I would like. And yet, I am on track for my submission goals for my creative writing, and I have other strengths (university service being my version of teaching) that limit the amount of time I WANT to spend on writing academic articles.

    Also—my funding runs out after next year too. Perhaps time to start monetizing the blog ...? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,
      Academic writing is very frustrating, especially because it just isn't the same as creative writing. I've never heard anyone, even scholars, say that they enjoyed writing academic articles. But in graduate school it's part of what we're groomed for; we're constantly pressured to be the best, which is very stressful.

      Delete
  5. Hey!
    The smartest advice I have ever read on how to deal with these kinda people was in a book by Alexander McCall Smith, one of the books in the 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series... There's a lady there, Violet, who is pretty, glamorous, and has a real poisonous tongue and she is the personal nemesis of the main character's assistant, Grace Makutsi (who is neither pretty nor glamorous, but intelligent and nice). One evening, when they both end up in the same dance class, Violet goes on at her about how her choice of green shoes is 'unfortunate', and what a strange dance partner Grace has, ... And of course Grace Makutsi is really upset and struggles with herself because she wants to get angry, but then she responds with something like that: 'You are a very pretty lady, and you wear beautiful clothes. You have a lot of style. You deserve this handsome dance partner you have. It is only right.' And Violet has the wind taken out of her sails and is dumbfounded and does not know how to react to this and leaves the ladies' room (where this took place) wihtout even looking at Grace again.
    So... long story short: in these situations, it's probably best to attack by side-stepping. Not let oneself be drawn down to the other person's level, but respond with something friendly and reassuring (because obviously, these people are quite insecure if they need this kind of 'game' to feel good), and just not react to the spitefulness.
    I don't know if I could in that situation, but I very much hope so! Maybe you wanna try it next time? :)
    (also, being a good teacher is so much more valuable (and harder) than being able to write obscure articles!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cresting the Words,
      Thanks for the advice! Grad School Nemesis also makes a point of insinuating that she's a better teacher than me; therefore, she'd be shocked if I complimented her. But I would just have to figure out how to compliment her, because I really don't like her very much.

      Delete
  6. I know the feeling. I'm happy for friends but I have a few that are way successful. While not a friend, I went to college with Jason Mraz and he was a friend to most of my friends. So he's super successful pop star and I work in a call center. I get your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby,
      Jason Mraz? Wow! I can only imagine what he was like in college. I actually have one of his albums, and I like his songs.
      There's someone who's very successful who went to my school too; while she was (and still is) making millions, I was making minimum wage. It's definitely tough.

      Delete
  7. I'm only a high-school teacher, so I don't have to publish things in academic journals, but I have also realized anyway that I like teaching better than being a scholar. I'm glad I'm not the only one, and you feel that way too! There's something so humanizing about teaching, whereas you can get lost inside your own head if you're purely a scholar. That's what I think, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SolariC,
      I admire high school teachers because they have to teach several classes a day. I taught high school for a while, and it was very interesting; it's a different dynamic than at the college level.
      It's tough to be a scholar. I had to take all these seminars in grad school, but I think there should also be more emphasis on how to become a good teacher.

      Delete
  8. I wish I could say that feeling envious of other authors makes me work extra hard, but... it doesn't. I just keep going at my own pace. I guess you're right - the only thing to do is limit your interactions with her. Or learn some more kick-boxing moves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deniz,
      I think I will limit my interactions with her in the future, because she always makes me feel bad about myself. It's tough to be around people like that, because I think that they like to brag about themselves.

      Delete