Monday, June 27, 2011

Rainbow Bracelets and Guys in Shorts

As a workaholic, I'm a big fan of to-do lists. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and purpose to be able to cross something off my list, and that list enables me to get a lot of stuff done. Without a list of things to do, I'm more than likely going to waste time (and if there's one thing a workaholic hates, it's wasting time instead of getting things done or working) and veg out in front of the TV and watch Law and Order reruns. (I heart you, Sam Waterston!)

Without a to-do list I'll spend hours surfing the Internet, watching funny YouTube videos and reading weird news stories, like the controversy about the guy who was kicked off a flight because he refused to pull up his baggy pants, but a guy on a different flight who wore no pants at all except for a pair of women's underwear was allowed on board. (Side note: That story made me wonder if he normally walks around with just women's underwear on. Like, does he go to work or the grocery store dressed like that? He looked pretty pleased with himself in the picture that was taken of him, so I'm thinking that he probably did it just to see if he could get away with it. Or maybe he really does go out in women's underwear on a regular basis.)

I don't make a to-do list every day; usually I'll allow myself some flexibility by making at least one list per week. That way, I'll have several days to get everything done. Below are some of the things on my to-do list from this past week:

1. Go to the grocery store before 10 A.M. in order to avoid accidentally slamming my shopping cart into someone else's and to avoid standing in lines behind people who sigh really loudly and make passive-aggressive remarks about people who cut in front of them (though I must admit that sometimes I'll sigh and make remarks too, or, if I've already had coffee that morning, I'll say, "HEY! The back of the line is over THERE, MISTER! Yeah, I'm talking to YOU!")

What I did: I went to the grocery store before 10 A.M. I tried to avert my eyes and not look judgmental when I saw someone trying unsuccessfully to climb over the barricade to the liquor aisle (in Illinois it's illegal to sell alcohol before noon).

2. Figure out more ways to save/earn money, since I recently realized after getting paid from my retail job that my earnings from that job don't actually cover half my bills like I thought they would (I miscalculated my earnings, mainly because of the taxes); they barely cover a third of my expenses.

What I did: I picked up an extra shift at my retail job, and I worked extra hours at my website job too. I went online and searched through my grocery store's weekly ads to find coupons and managed to clip a few, though unfortunately I didn't have as much luck as the folks on Extreme Couponing do in finding coupons. (It's just as well, because I don't have room in my apartment for fifty extra pounds of meat or a dozen extra bottles of laundry detergent. I suppose I would if I took out my furniture, but I don't think that it would be very comfortable to sleep on several boxes of frozen dinners or a bunch of milk jugs.)

I thought of other possible ideas for saving money. Idea #1: Shave all my hair off so that I don't have to spend money on haircuts or hair products anymore. On the other hand, since it's summer I'd probably have to spend money on sunscreen so that my head doesn't get sunburned. I have a round face, so if I did get sunburned my head would end up looking like one of those talking M&Ms or a giant red gumball with eyes.

3. Go to the only place in Chicago where it is almost guaranteed that I won't get hit on by guys: Boystown, to attend either the Pride Parade or the Pride Festival.

What I didn't do: Go to the Pride Festival. When I first moved to Chicago, I went to as many festivals as I could like any other wide-eyed tourist who had not yet realized that most festivals sold the same overpriced food, drinks, and souvenirs. Also, the thing about hanging out at an outdoor festival for too long is that you're often left with no choice but to use one of the Port-a-Potties. And in my opinion, using one of those is like eating off of someone else's dirty dinner plate or blowing your nose with a used Kleenex. I did go to the Pride Festival last year, though, and I had a nice time; I also got a free rainbow bracelet  and a free magnet with a picture of a male underwear model on it.

What I did: attend the Pride Parade. I saw Governor Quinn, along with several other politicians, waving at the people watching on the sidelines. I waved back. I saw drag queens dancing in colorful costumes. I saw a bunch of women on motorcycles riding around, including one woman riding a motorbike with an inflatable woman sitting behind her. I saw a guy wearing a coconut shell bra and a hula skirt playing the trombone. I saw a bunch of people yell out, "WOOOO!!" every time another float or a group of dancers/politicians/activists passed by. (And eventually, I started WOOO-ing too.)

I saw several good-looking guys in tight shorts dancing to songs by Ke$ha and Lady Gaga.  Side note: I couldn't help secretly wishing that there was at least one event each year where good-looking, muscular, straight guys felt comfortable enough to walk around in tight shorts (though preferably not women's underwear. I'm not judging any guy who does wear it; it's just that I'd rather not walk behind any guy on the street wearing nothing but a pair of women's underwear, you know?) with their shirts off like a lot of the good-looking, muscular, gay guys do at the Pride Parade.

It was one of those rare days in Chicago where the weather was beautiful and mild. It was also one of those rare days where I didn't feel tired, stressed out, or easily irritated by anything and everything. Instead, I felt happy to be watching the parade, happy to be living in Chicago, a city that still thrills and surprises me even though I've lived here for years, happy to be outside, happy to be around other people who were cheering and waving for the beaded necklaces that the people in the parade were throwing to them. But most of all, I felt happy because I didn't have to work.

What about you? What do you think of to-do lists? If you have one, then what's on your list?

Side note: Michelle Davidson Argyle, who is a novelist and writes the blog The Innocent Flower (her blog on writing was one of the first blogs I started following when I first started blogging, because it's filled with interesting stories about her experiences as a writer and great advice on writing and self-publishing), is celebrating the one-year anniversary of the release of her novella Cinders. In honor of her celebration, she's hosting a giveaway where you can win an autographed copy of her book and an autographed bookmark. Stop by her blog to check it out!

19 comments:

  1. I totally have weekly to-do lists. Well, for awhile I didn't when I was working regularly, but now I'm back to it. This week's list includes: Print photos off digital camera, apply to 3 teaching jobs, medical bill thing, RSVP to wedding, get fruit and vegetables, yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to-do lists when I have a lot I need to get done. They help me focus and move calmly from one item to the next.

    I so want to visit Chicago someday. It seems like such a beautiful and inspiring place. I can't guarantee I won't burst into the "Chicago" soundtrack - in public - at some point during my visit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mmarinaa,
    I think it's easier not to have a to-do list when you're working, because on typical workdays you already kind of have to have a plan for each day. That's why I often plan to complete the stuff on my list when I have time off. I should add "get fruit and vegetables" to my list too. Except instead of fruit I'd get Froot Loops and instead of vegetables I'd get M&Ms and just eat the red and green ones. :)

    Hi E. Elle,
    You should totally visit Chicago someday, and if you do, let me know! :) I actually used to listen to the 'Chicago" soundtrack all the time when I was walking around; it always made me want to sing along too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the thoughtful response on my blog. I really appreciate hearing stories from those who have actually been where I am now. At this point, I know that my dream job is to be a professor; it's not so much the ultimate destination I'm unsure about, as much as it is the journey to get there. More than anything I worry that I don't have what it takes and I will fail graduate school miserably. However, for now i'm just trying to take it one day at a point. I know that at the very least, i need to give the MA program a try--if I don't, I might regret it forever. May I ask, what is your BA in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teddi,
    My B.A. is in English, as was my M.A. (The Ph.D. I am pursuing is in English too, of course, though I'd rather not say what my specialization is because I'm still trying to stay mostly anonymous on my blog.) The M.A. program in English is different from the MFA, because the MFA is a terminal degree (which in some cases means you can get a tenure track job with an MFA), whereas the M.A. is a degree that most English majors get before pursuing the Ph.D. I have met a few grad students who didn't get an M.A. before going into the Ph.D. program, but that's less common.
    It's perfectly normal to worry about failing graduate school; I still worry about that and I've been in grad school for years. One piece of advice I can give is to view graduate school as a full-time job. It's something that you have to be prepared to fully dedicate yourself to, which means a lot of long hours, struggles to support yourself on thousands of dollars less than your peers earn, frustration, and sacrifices. And it's difficult because there's no guarantee of a full-time job even after the Ph.D. is earned; that's why the process is so uncertain and scary. But I can say that your chances of getting a full-time college teaching job are better if you have a Ph.D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I accidentally found your blog and stayed for a while. We seem to have a lot in common. I love making lists too because there's so much to do, what with my studies (grad student), being a single mom, trying to write as much as possible and still have a social life :)

    As for the financial insecurity--I hear you. I receive a miserable stipend from the state, but it doesn't even cover the rent, and the schedule on college is such that it doesn't leave much time to work, if any. Fingers crossed that everything works out well with your PhD and your writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ivana,
    Welcome to my blog!
    Financial insecurity is a constant stressor in grad school; I wish I didn't have to work so much so that I could focus more on my graduate work, but if I didn't work these extra jobs I wouldn't be able to afford to stay in graduate school, sighhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't get through my day without my to-do list! Organization is the key to balance in my life.
    BTW, you're hilarious! I laughed out loud when I read about you shaving your head to avoid getting a hair cut. And yes, the money would just go to sunscreen. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emily,
    Thanks! I wish I could shave my head; I'd tell people, "Didn't you know? Bald is the new blonde." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think to-do lists are very helpful. I like being able to draw lines through things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi notesfromnadir,
    To-do lists help me structure each day, because otherwise I'll forget what I was supposed to do until after it's too late. Before I started making to-do lists, I often had overdue library books and forgotten appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    Thank you for the comments on Youtube and my blog. I noticed it was you when I read the comment on Youtube from your website.
    I will tell my mummy to make "TO-do list". She is the one who would hate!! xxx Coco

    ReplyDelete
  13. I go through manic to-do list phases, but right now I'm rather blase about them. Sounds like they're an effective tool for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big "To Do" list writer too.

    I can tell from your post that it springs you into action.

    I've always wanted to go to a Pride Parade. I've been to a couple of pride activities and a sponsored event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Coco,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! I really enjoy reading your blog and watching your videos of you and Silky on Youtube.

    Hi Talli,
    When I do make a to-do list, I carry it around with me in either my journal or I fold it up and put it in my pocket; that way it's easier for me to remember that I have stuff to do.

    Hi Theresa,
    I like going to the pride activities; everyone's always in a good mood at those events. This year somebody slashed the tires of all the floats in the parade before the parade started; fortunately the parade organizers were able to replace them and the good mood of that day wasn't spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the mention of Cinders!

    I love to-do lists. I have them floating all over my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Michelle,
    You're welcome! Congratulations again on the anniversary of your book!
    I used to keep my to-do list posted on my refrigerator because I thought that would make it harder to ignore. I found that it became that much easier to ignore it because I was always more interested in getting the food in my fridge than reading the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, i'm sorry to see that you have to struggle so muchto put yourself through school.

    Actually have you thought of exploring your job options more? Short hours but high pay? Eg: look around for the Asian community. Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc? They often pay a lot for private tutors for their kids. Yes, you might end up doing their homework for them, but hey...just earn the money and get out.

    When I was in university, I was paid $100 for 4 lessons of Chinese to a kid in elementary school. Each lesson is just 1 hour. No taxes as its a private arrangement in cash.

    Do you play piano? Can you teach piano? There is no need to be an expert as some adults just learn for fun. They don't see qualifications either,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi pf1123,
    Sorry for the late response; I've been working a lot and haven't had any time for blogging. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I have been tutoring one student, but the problem with most tutoring jobs is that it can take up a lot of time due to commuting. That is, there are tutoring companies out there that require the tutors to drive out to the students' homes, and I don't have a car.
    I can't teach piano, unfortunately; I took lessons when I was a kid but I don't really remember most of it.

    ReplyDelete