Thursday, September 9, 2010

Losing Followers

A few weeks ago, I discovered that I had lost a follower on my blog. My reaction was very calm, very low-key. It went something like this:

Me: Oh, DEAR GOD! NOOOOO!! The HUMANITY of it all! Why did I lose a follower? What did I do wrong? (Gasp gasp gasp) I've lost the will to blog! It's too late for me, but SAVE YOURSELVES!

Even though I only lost one follower, it did bum me out for a little while. It's always a nice ego boost when I get a new follower. I'm grateful for the fact that there's at least a handful of nice people out there who are willing to read what I'm writing. So I was caught off guard when I found out that someone decided to stop reading my blog. Was it because I wasn't following that person's blog? Was it because I wasn't posting as often? Did that person find one of my posts offensive? Was he or she offended by my belief that Britney Spears deserves a Grammy? (FYI: She does.)

I know that losing a follower isn't the worst thing in the world. But it does sting a little. For just a moment, it made me question whether my blog was good enough, whether I as a writer was good enough. It also made me wonder if I should be blogging about more "interesting" topics, like maybe instead of writing about my neighbors or guys who take their pants off on the train, I should write more posts about online dating, especially since those usually seemed to get the most comments.

But ultimately, losing a follower wasn't enough to make me stop blogging. For me, blogging is a good way to motivate me to write regularly; I've definitely made a lot more progress in my fiction-writing since I started writing. And even though I do write with an audience in mind, at the end of the day I'm going to blog about whatever's on my mind that day, and hopefully someone out there will want to read it. If I keep thinking about pleasing an audience when I write, I'd probably never write anything.

I think it's like writing fiction. I was always taught that you're supposed to write about what's important to you, rather than write about what's popular or what's trendy. And even if it's not what everyone else is writing about, there's always the possibility that you can connect with someone through your writing who feels the same way that you do. And that, to me, is part of what's rewarding about writing. It's always been one of the good parts about reading, to read something by a good writer and get that thrill of recognition, to think, "That's exactly what I feel!" Another good thing is helping people see things in a different light, so that even if they didn't see things your way before, they came to understand it better once they read your writing.

So even though it isn't fun to lose readers, at the same time it'd be even worse if I gave up writing altogether just because some people don't want to read my stuff anymore. I can't even imagine what my life would be like if I stopped writing, because being a writer is the one thing I've always been sure of.



What about you? Have you ever lost a follower? How did it make you feel?

14 comments:

  1. I've lost followers before. Seriously, don't worry about it. Some people just clean out their boxes and they are trying to clean out the blogs they weren't devoted to. I hope you don't take it personally. I know it stings. I've lost followers on my Cinders facebook page and it hurts. I wonder, crap, did they read the book and hate it??? It's so easy to make things up in our heads...when in reality it's usually nothing personal at all.

    *HUGS*

    I read your blog. I read most of your posts in Reader and don't take the time to comment because I simply don't have the time to comment. But I do read and comment when I can.

    Don't lose heart. Whoever stopped following is missing out on something great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. It's one of my favorites. And yes, I've lost followers. Usually after a post that is really personal. I think people follow me to get writing & publishing info and when I get too personal they go "meh" and push unfollow. Bastards. And usually it's two at a time. So strange that they come in pairs for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't know if I lost a follower because I'm lame like that!! It so rarely occurs to me to check my stats!!

    I have stopped following blogs, though and it usually has nothing to do with the blog itself and everything to do with the fact that might time is limited and I can only have so many things in my reader! Take heart! You are awesome and no number of unfollowers can make you less so!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you shouldn't stop! One person is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

    I don't look at followers. I don't even know how many "followers" I have; I don't really believe in it. I know I do have regular readers and RSS subscribers, but not how many.

    I did notice once that someone had subscribed through Bloglovin, and then unsubscribed again. That was a bummer, but if people don't wanna read, then they don't wanna read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why people lose readers. Sometimes people just stop blogging and go off line. I wouldn't take it personally.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey it's alright...just keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well i'm up to 7 followers now, one including myself lol so I hope I dont lose any! Be happy and take care of the followers you have is my advise though. A lot of people might read your blog who don't even follow you, who knows! Think of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. No worries about not being able to comment; sometimes I'm not able to either because of work and school. It's nice just to know that there are people out there reading my blog.

    Hi Karen,
    Thank you! I love your blog too. I like the personal posts; I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't. I think they're good because I think it takes courage to be honest with people.

    Hi NGS,
    Thank you! You're awesome too. I haven't been following a lot of blogs lately either. I probably shouldn't check how many followers I have, but I can't help it. :)

    Hi eemusings,
    You're right. One less follower isn't such a bad thing. Bloglovin sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out.

    Hi Clarissa,
    Now that I have my own blog, I can't imagine stopping. It's fun and a good way to connect with other people. Thanks for the feedback.

    Hi janjan,
    Thanks! And that's exactly what I intend to do.

    Hi FreenDreezy,
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe you're right; maybe there are other people reading this blog that I don't know about. That would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I've lost followers! You're right - it does suck. Big time. But not everyone's going to like everything you write, and if people bail, well... I try not to take it personally! I find wine helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about your followers! It's that person's loss because your blog always makes me laugh (In a good way).

    Losing followers bums me out too. I've had my share of losses. But I take it better than to rejections of my manuscript. Then I go:

    Oh, DEAR GOD! NOOOOO!! The HUMANITY of it all! Why did I receive a rejection? What did I do wrong? (Gasp gasp gasp) I've lost the will to query! It's too late for me, but SAVE YOURSELVES!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Talli,
    Thanks for the pep talk! :) I'm not a big wine drinker because I get tipsy really easily. But would Coca-Cola be an okay substitution?

    Hi Theresa,
    Thanks! I haven't sent my manuscripts to agents yet, but I have submitted a couple pieces to writing contests and didn't win. I had a similar reaction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've lost followers before. I don't sweat it! I can't read and comment on blogs all the time(if that was their reason for leaving) but I just like to think they're off writing or doing other things. I don't take it personal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You lose one, you gain two. Sometimes the follower no longer blogs or has anything to do w/ blogger, or they just are trying to keep their numbers down, so the last thing you should do is take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hannah,
    Thanks! (Sorry about my late reply!) The possibility that they're off writing is a good one, because at least it means they're doing something important. :)

    Hi notesfromnadir,
    Thanks for the support. It's hard not to take it personally since it's my writing, but it is true that their reasons for not following might not have anything do with me.

    ReplyDelete